Rare proto Mavic rear mech

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Just scored this for my Mountain Goat project. Going for a full Mavic groupset and was happy to get this off evilbay. Its a proto of a rare Mavic mech from the end of the 80's early 90's. This Mech does not have Mavic stamped on the body like the production example. Beauty of Mavic mechs is that they are completely rebuildable- no rivets, so it can be taken apart.
Should be a nice finishing touch for my Goat which is going to be Mrs S' bike for next summer.

Si

Ps. Anyone got Mavic shifters, cranks and a Dakar rear hub doing nothing??

3925583280_3577fdd2c8_o.jpg

Dr S":29ac8azv said:
Its a proto of a rare Mavic mech from the end of the 80's early 90's. This Mech does not have Mavic stamped on the body like the production example.
Later models used a MAVIC transfer on the parallelogram - I'd guess yours is more likely to be a later production model that's been de-transferred, rather than a prototype. Unless you know different, of course.

http://www.cadre.org/bike_stuff/Mavic/D ... G_1738.JPG

Beauty of Mavic mechs is that they are completely rebuildable- no rivets, so it can be taken apart.
Yeah, but can they be put back together again? ;)

Ps. Anyone got Mavic shifters, cranks and a Dakar rear hub doing nothing??
Which cranks are you looking for?

I'm looking for the MTB triple- was it called 870 or summat?

The rear mech is said to be a proto that was sent out to the guy I got it from as part of a run of mechs made for durability tests. Thats what he said anyhow.

I hear that they are a bitch to put back together so won't be playing with it unless it breaks.

Si

Holy grail those 825 shifters....looking forward to seeing the build mate!

Rich

That mech is a road mech .

Mavic does send out some of their products to taste to people . they still do it today . they have a few hundred testers for their wheels .

I only miss the shifters and a rear axle for the rear hub to finish my groupset .

Love that!

Si, if for any reason you abandon the groupset project, I'd love to swap this for something -I've a few NOS goodies which might take your fancy........

Back