Syncros Revolution Steel Cranks - The Restoration

Inigo Montoya

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
about a year ago i got a set of syncros revolution cranks from a german here in vienna. REALLY nice chap! he sold them quite cheap (180euros including crank-o-matics) and i was totally blown away when i was holding them in hands. the howly grail was mine :) i do remember those cranks from the magazines back in the days. i promised the seller to not resell them and decided to put them on my brodie road frame. the frame is going to the powder coater tomorrow. the right time to get the cranks back in shape.

the starting point:
syncros-revos-1.jpg

the main issue is that they have the well known childrens rattle problem. so first step was drilling a small hole into each crank at a low stress point to check what causes the rattle effect.

OMG its rust:
syncros-revos-2.jpg

yes, its definitely rust (see the brownish crumbs on the lower left corner of the second pic). guess water slipped in between the cranks and the alloy insert. next step was filling up the cranks with some wd40. flushed the wd40 then filled in some rust converter. flushed that and rinsed the crank-inner with water. next put them in the stove at 80degrees to dry properly.
don't know yet if i get them powder coated in frame color or respray them myself ni black...

brought frame, fork and cranks to the powder coater today. the revos will be powder coated in RAL 3001 which is plain red. will update the thread when i get them back next week.

Cool....I'd better check both my pairs....I'm sure they don't rattle but now your making me paranoid :LOL:

They all rattle IMHO..even Kleins do and they're Alu.
Cant quite picture these in red...going to be interesting to see..
J

I wonder if anyone has any experience replacing the alu center of the crank. Looks like I've got a small crack there but have a spare one laying next to it...

C

MynameisCasper":2cqbguny said:
I wonder if anyone has any experience replacing the alu center of the crank. Looks like I've got a small crack there but have a spare one laying next to it...

C

I'd be curious to see the ally part out of the arm, just to see how they did it.

Can you post a picture? :D

B3":1opsgvmk said:
I'd be curious to see the ally part out of the arm, just to see how they did it.

Can you post a picture? :D

I misunderstood... I haven't done this yet but am wondering if anyone has.

first of all pics of the screws to mount the spider. there are two different sets. one for road spider (shorter) and on for triple setups (mtb).
the screws for the triple setup
revo-schrauben-1.jpg

the screws for the double setup
revo-schrauben-4.jpg

luckily i was able to swap my triple screws for double ones. aplied the decals and here we go:
syncros-revos-3.jpg

syncros-revos-4.jpg

syncros-revos-5.jpg

syncros-revos-6.jpg

after holding the cranks in hands powdercoated in red i wasn't sure they would look any good. but with the decals and the chainrings i think they rock :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UdMWNH1saQ

Back