Fork Height Help "Judy"

captain8track

Retro Guru
Does anyone know for sure the axle to crown height of a Judy SL from 96 and the newer version from 98?

I can only find somoeone stating 406mm and I can't keep feeling that it's to low? I know that the Sid had a different crown, and that made it a bit higher. But also the Sid came mid season in the world cup so the riders had the same frames, same setup with stems and such, but 2cm higher forks? doesn't make sence...

I borrowed a fork that I just fitted an 80mm's Skareb to my GT which had the 63mm Judy original and it doesn't feel that big of a change. Tried with an 100mm's but that was wayyy to high, but the old fork that was fitted an 80mm's Rock Shox Jet didn't feel much lower then the skareb...

And I'm receiving an 96 Judy Sl by post any day soon, Will it be to low?

All i know is that it wont be 406mm, no way as a non sus corrected rigid fork is usually in the ballpark of 390/395. i'd have a stab that a 96 judy sl will be around 420/430, maybe a little less.

I will check, I have four sets of 96 and SL, I think at three travel levels at the mo.

Remind me by pm if I forget.

The Judy XC (I think 1995) are ~435mm (just measured for you)
The MAG21's 1994 are about ~400mm for comparison (again just measured).

So the only way I can think a Judy would be shorter is lowering them and/or using 50mm travel kit. Of course I know next to nothing about Judy's as I've only just got my first pair.

re:

435mm seems like a reasonable figure. That means that a modern 80mm's fork with some sag won't be a problem. Some even say that there's a travel reducing kit for the sid somewhere.

I hope my 95 judy sl will turn up soon!

Back