Speedplay Frog Pedals

Rich

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Hi Guys,

Picked these up for £14.00 off trademe.co.nz. Always wanted to try them but never got around to it...does anyone have any experience with them, likes dislikes?

Cheers

Rich

Attachments

• SANY0017.JPG
    SANY0017.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,174
Absolutely love them, have them on every bike I own and have owned in the past 15 years (albeit the early ones where Magnum pedals not frogs).

I got run over by a bus many years ago and snapped my knee a touch, no matter what pedal I used I had huge pain so I kept on coming back to these as I never even had a twinge with these. They are firm and secure but offer a large degree of float (very controlled float with the frogs, not so controlled with the Magnums - your foot would merrily wing with those..)

Great for mud as there is no mechanism to get clogged, only downside i can think of is that they can be a bit hard to tell when you're clipped in sometimes (especially when its muddy), but 99% of the time you are a just don't know it!)

Cheers Pete,

I always fancied these and also like the look of the Bebop pedals, just couldn't let them go for the price!!!

I'll let you know how I get on with them!

Rich

Only clipless pedals I can live with...however four cautions for you

1. Although they have a lot of float it's only in one direction - heel out. There is zero heel-inwards float.

2. Movement is so easy it that to start with it feels like they are going to slip out as soon as as you use any float. Like you're standing on slightly off-camber ice. Took me a good while to get used to this but now that feeling has gone completely.

3. Engagement has a wide margin for error but is a different motion to other pedals. Rather that step into them you have to slide from behind them. Just a little thing to get used to.

4. Replacement cleats are expensive and look more delicate than others, I find myself consciously avoiding stepping on small stones etc...

With that said just give them a couple weeks chance to get used to them - you'll come to love them!

I went from SPD to these, i just couldn't get used to them. Needless to say i sold them and went back to the big S.

ATB

John

Cheers Guys,

I've yet to get the cleats as the pedals didn't come with them, hope to source them in NZ if I can but don't think they have a distributor...

Will let you know how I get on..

Rich

Keep 'em CLEAN!

I use them on the road bike. They are great there, but not so good on a mountain bike in the mud of the east coast US. When I lived in Colorado, they weren't very good there either, where the trails were made of rock and gravel. The little elastomer return spring on the cleat just doesn't allow for quick engagement against the resistance of goop and grit. If the slightest bit of gunk prevents the cleat from sliding all the way forward on the pedal, to allow the spring to pop the ramped clamp over the back of the pedal surface, then the pedal won't hold the cleat. Also, if you are a rider who uses a lot of body 'english' on technical trails, then you'll twist your feet far enough to just glide right out of the pedals.

On the road where they never get very dirty, and where your pedal motion is very consistant and controlled, they are wonderful. :D I'd love another set for the commuter!

Your results may vary! :cool:

Back