Prototype Spectrum Racing Hubs

AlexTemper

Dirt Disciple
Something a little more unusual for those of you that have a thing for Hubs and these come with a back story, which for me, making an item more interesting. Here, I have a set of prototype Spectrum Racing Hubs using a Shimano Freehub body that never went into final production.

Who is Spectrum Racing? For those that were racing back in the mid/late 90's, you may well remember the name of a UK rider called Stefan Gleed who raced XC and moved across into DH proper. A few of you, like me, probably rode with him most weeks for years as well. As well as being a decent rider Stefan was also a bit handy with making his own parts and did a very small run of maybe 5 sets of Hubs under the guise of Spectrum Racing. A few of us them tested them out for him as a bit of R&D with a view that he would probably look to start of with low volume production runs. This would have been around '94 or '95 at a guess. I imagine the costs and priority of racing prevented this from ever happening but 20 odd years later, these hubs are still going well and I think look great, ignoring that they need a proper clean.

So here they are:

p5pb15801759.jpg

p5pb15801760.jpg

I don't unfortunately. I weighed the wheels and they came in at around 1900g with what is probably a fairly heavy aero profile rim and single butted spokes so they can't be too heavy. I'll end up stripping them off at some point to clean and get a proper weight.

james1985":1spol2xs said:
Oh I like those a lot. Would love to find a pair for my F.R.S

Good luck with that if there were only 5 sets made! :eek:

Nice looking hubs though. We're they 7/8 Speed Cassette?

Re:

They were for 7/8 speed Shimano cassettes.

I’d consider selling them as I think they would never get used in the near future.

Re: Re:

AlexTemper":3ghitilb said:
They were for 7/8 speed Shimano cassettes.

I’d consider selling them as I think they would never get used in the near future.

I'm going to send you a pm.

Back