specialized shark fin on something that's not a specialized

brains

Dirt Disciple
We had a local bicycle swap meet today and as far as retro mountain bike stuff goes there wasn't a whole lot but i found one of these things: a 1999 specialized disc brake adapter. I don't have a 1999 specialized anything, but i've got a couple old alloy Schwinns and i wondered if anyone had ever fitted a shark fin to something other than the specialized bikes they were intended for. My shcwinns both have forks with a disk provision and the dropouts are drilled for... something, so i figured it was a matter of putting the thing on there and getting a caliper and rotor that would work together.

Attachments

• 17358504_1595096943853081_5432105803340200189_o.jpg
    17358504_1595096943853081_5432105803340200189_o.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,914
brains":36jbkxtf said:
We had a local bicycle swap meet today and as far as retro mountain bike stuff goes there wasn't a whole lot but i found one of these things: a 1999 specialized disc brake adapter. I don't have a 1999 specialized anything, but i've got a couple old alloy Schwinns and i wondered if anyone had ever fitted a shark fin to something other than the specialized bikes they were intended for. My shcwinns both have forks with a disk provision and the dropouts are drilled for... something, so i figured it was a matter of putting the thing on there and getting a caliper and rotor that would work together.
Ok buddy,I'm after one of these,how much posted would you want for it please,cheaper better for me :)

Re:

we're not quite at that point yet eh ;) I'm still imagining my schwinn s10 surpassing its former glory with a new pair of hydro disc brakes.

I've appropriated this image showing the radii of the IS mount holes relative to the axle. Assuming i just drill the hole in the shark fin in exactly the right spot it should work right? Right...
That'll be a while from now as i'm in the middle of building a khs montana team SS and a $20 '88 rockhopper comp and i'll need to build disc wheels for the s10 but i'll post back when i'm in the middle of that in case it's of any benefit to anyone else.

Attachments

• iso.jpg
    iso.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,827
Re: Re:

brains":3aic1tod said:
we're not quite at that point yet eh ;) I'm still imagining my schwinn s10 surpassing its former glory with a new pair of hydro disc brakes.

I've appropriated this image showing the radii of the IS mount holes relative to the axle. Assuming i just drill the hole in the shark fin in exactly the right spot it should work right? Right...
That'll be a while from now as i'm in the middle of building a khs montana team SS and a $20 '88 rockhopper comp and i'll need to build disc wheels for the s10 but i'll post back when i'm in the middle of that in case it's of any benefit to anyone else.
Ahh ok mate,i think ive found one now,of a fella on the retro appreciation fb page
Good luck with your project :D

Hi would you be interested in selling this if you still have it?

Back