Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:50 pm 
B.o.T.Y. Winner / Gold Trader
B.o.T.Y. Winner / Gold Trader

Looks a beaut Melvin,

really nice simple lines and a nice workhorse deore DX drivetrain (my favorite groupset). I am keeping an eye out for a 31.8 DX front mech for you, the suntour looks out of place somehow.

Were you looking for a DX headset too ? what size does it take ?, not saying the campy looks out of place though - just wondering .

where do you get the anodised cable outer ends from ?, nice touch.

great bike :wink:

Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:17 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Nice build mate :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:05 am 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Thanks guys!

A great workhorse it is! The sturdy chassis and the durable powder coating make it an excellent pick for that purpose. The mostly DX parts do complement that really well.

Lee,

I do know for sure I have a XT mech in that size laying around. Could put that one on the MC-COMP (mostly XT) and that DX mech on the Grove. But by doing that XC Ltd mech won't be used, as it isn't at its place at any of my bikes. It's to young to retire. I am to lazy to sell.

Back in the day I always rode with parts I coincidently had laying at my place, irrespective of what make or colour. I can tell that led to really wild creations. But it worked! Only in 2000 or so I started to develop a more critical attitude towards consistency. Then I became more aware of the vintage/classic aspect of the stuff I used. Of course also had more money and prices sank.

Besides the XC Ltd mech and Euclid headset, also the bb is a bit a outcast. It is a XC Pro unit.

Red cable ends: Used 3. The cableguides are non slotted and pretty deep, so using more doesn't make sense + that I used the thicker old XT cables for the brakes. I got them through Ernie. Ernie => Here! See he raised the price a bit :(

- Melvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:05 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Mel,

I'm in total agreement with ya'...for a bike that is going to be ridden hard, tromping through woods and field, nothing beats a "use what you got" attitude.

In a few years when the frame has suffered it's share of bumps and bruises and has earned a new finish, then is the time to adorn it with a few consistant and bling pieces...til then, thrash it :twisted:

cheers,

rody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:16 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

rody wrote:
Mel,

I'm in total agreement with ya'...for a bike that is going to be ridden hard, tromping through woods and field, nothing beats a "use what you got" attitude.

In a few years when the frame has suffered it's share of bumps and bruises and has earned a new finish, then is the time to adorn it with a few consistant and bling pieces...til then, thrash it :twisted:

cheers,

rody

excellent philosophy :twisted:

and great bike :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:34 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Thank you

I made a more extensive photocoverage of the project from start to finished result and you can view it here

Want to see really many Groves? Visit MTB-news.de, the classic section. There is a Grove topic on there with plenty very nice Groves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:11 pm 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Elev12k wrote:
Thank you

I made a more extensive photocoverage of the project from start to finished result and you can view it here

Want to see really many Groves? Visit MTB-news.de, the classic section. There is a Grove topic on there with plenty very nice Groves.

Awesome! I'll check the thread and the site out, this weekend, for sure.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:38 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

It is this topic >> http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=121761

I think you will need to subscribe to be able to see most of the pics. It will be worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:37 am 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Nice to see this thread resurrected, I stumbled across this a while ago and still think it's one of the nicest bikes on this site :)

Post subject: Grove
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:50 am 
Old School Grand Master

Im so jealous :wink:

This Grove is just perfect...One of my favorite bikes and yours is no exception.

I think for me it would be like finding the holy grail if i EVER stumble onto a GROVE frame for sale :roll:

Awesome mate!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7