Colour Changing (isn) x-lite fly stem

andyparle

Retro Guru
So, ive got an old x lite stem that my friend gave me some time back that is in the orange painted colour. The paint was a bit crappy so I decided to de-sticker it and begin to strip the paint off, and whats underneath? BLUE AN0DIZE!
It looks to me that they decided to paint it in the factory after they anodized it and realised that the cnc finish was not up to standard (a few dings in the metal that were not visible before I stripped the thick paint off).
Quite surprised how well the paint has actually stood up to being over the top of anodized metal with what appears to be no primer.
Heres some flicks, still got a bit to get off yet though....
IMG_7880.jpg

IMG_7883.jpg

IMG_7884.jpg

IMG_7885.jpg

IMG_7886.jpg

I used a chepo nitro mors style paint stripper sups-dec i think). the paint was easily removed with my fingers after about half an hour of applying plenty of stripper (I put the stem in an old pint pot and covered it in paint stripper). I had rubber gauntlets on mind whilst I was rubbing the paint off!
The anodising didnt get affected at all by it. The tricky parts I havent got round to yet, probably use something plastic and pointy.
Let me know whats underneath your paint!

Re:

Tricky bit cleaning - wooden BBQ skewers are really good for this job (put more stripper on), the points bend before they cause damage.

Might be tricky to source in a cold wet February though.

Nice biro lids are also good at this sort of thing, pointy enough but soft enough not to damage anything.

Back