Advice on this Hope / Mavic Citron wheel?

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well I've just bought this wheel on ebay as part of a mismatched set. Lately I've been looking for something like XT hubs on Mavic X517s (which the front wheel is) for a lightweight and low maintenance wheelset, but the rear is a blue Hope screw-on hub on a X517 Citron (I assume, it looks yellow?) rim. I thought the wheels were cheap and the worst case scenario is that I sell the rear again and end up with a quality front wheel having paid a fair bit less than I think it's worth.

Though the colourway of the Hope wheel doesn't really suit anything I've got but I thought I'd consider my options first. I don't have any experience with these so maybe someone else can advise. Not having used screw on cassettes before what are the options and pitfalls (I only use 9-speed nowadays)? Can they fit a standard freehub too?

And if I end up putting the rear wheel back on the bay how common/sought after are these rims/hubs? The seller says they are essentially NOS but I'm not bothered if that turns out to be a 'generous' description as the price seems good even for used.

Cheers :)

Attachments

• Hope (Custom).JPG
    Hope (Custom).JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,413
The rim and hub are quite nice quality. I was always a fan of the Hope hubs and had a bulb hub back in the day which had the freehub body for the more regular cassettes. I don't think they ever did a 9 spd screw on cassette - I generally stayed away from them as it meant a heavier cassette with the bearings/rawl mechanism within the actual cassette and generally Freehub bodies seemed the preferred option even if they were more expensive. They won't take a standard freehub so you'll be stuck with a screw on cassette or single speed cog

The screw on rear hub from hope still has a titanium body with aluminium flanges in the blue - it's a nice hub that I would happily purchase if you chose to sell as I'm setting up a single speed Kona Explosif '96 just now :D It's also a perfect match for the Suspension front hub Hope did of the same era, circa 1996 IIRC.

BITD these would go for about £90 new...I'd say a fair price would be around the £50-60 mark (yellow and blue is a bit strange to me, despite my user image...), but possibly more if pretty much NOS... or £40 if you're selling to me :LOL:

Its a nice colour but theres been a couple of new ones on ebay which didnt sell so not sure a 2nd would do for fair pricing.
The rim is a bit more desirable, but only if its as new condition.

Either use it as a single speed/7/8 spd if you can find a block, or strip down ,offer the rim and stick the hub in the box hoping it becomes popular in the future.

You generally see the bubs on early/mid 90s bikes, cheaper than the Ti-Glide. Not the most wanted hub, mainly as you need to use freewheels on them. You alter the axle setup for 7 or 8 speed with spacers and you can still buy freewheels, I assume 9sp freewheels will work in place of a 8sp one, but not seems anyone do it.
It's called a Hope Screw-on
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... hive/Hope/
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/Hope_Technology

What condition is the rim breaking surface, nice rims though.

Re:

Thanks for these replies, very helpful. Given that it's a screw-on hub I don't think I'm going to make any real use of it so I guess it'll go back on ebay and just see what it makes - I don't need to make top money back on it to make the original purchase of the wheelset worthwhile. The rim and hub are supposedly completely unused but I'll have a much better impression very soon once it turns up!

Just arrived now, looks a very nice wheel. Weight is 794g. Both rims and hubs have some minor storage marks / workshop grime, so NOS is a bit generous as a description though I can't see any obvious signs of use (the non-matching front is even better).

Attachments

• IMG_7339 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_7339 (Custom).JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,252
  • IMG_7336 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_7336 (Custom).JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,252
Re:

Rebuild the wheel on to a better hub. Rim if NOS with storage marks which is NOS in all fairness. NOS does not mean immaculate. NIB should mean immaculate as it New in Box therefore not touch or had chance to clang with anything.

Also the fact it is built up tells you it's not 'unused'

Citroen 517 in 32 hole should fetch a bit of money on its own NOT with the hub and sookes.

Back