Newbie with a Manitou 1/2 fork

tietze

Retro Newbie
Hi, I have just acquired a Marin Indian Fire Trail with a Manitou fork and I have some questions:

What version is the fork? I would like to buy new elastomers for the fork (found suspensionforkparts.net)

The brake bosses seems not to be oriented correctly, are there any tips for doing that? (plan on installing v-brakes and maybe later on cantilevers, when I get a pair)

Hope you can help! :)

Attachments

• manitou01.jpg
    manitou01.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,177
  • manitou02.jpg
    manitou02.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,177
  • manitou03.jpg
    manitou03.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,177
That's a Manitou M-Sport, you want these ones:

https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/esh ... h-kit.html

Funnily enough I have a tidy pair of these I will be listing for sale tomorrow, also in need of elastomers/ a spring conversion.

Regarding the plate with the hole for the brake Spring tensioner, you should be able to orientate this the correct way by loosening the brake stud with a spanner, turn the plate the correct way then re tighten.

Let us know how you get on :)

Thanks, yes m-sport as the sticker says! ;-)

And yes, the bosses rotate nicely.

The fork is not seized, so I'm looking forward to inspect the condition of the old elastomers, just need to find a long 5mm hex key.

It's a steep price for the elastomers - almost the price of a light rigid fork.

Ok, so I was expecting elastomer goo and lots of cleaning, but apparently everything seems intact. The black elastomer parts (only one visible - not the ones on the 120mm bolts) seems to be non standard according to the document figure 2 from suspensionforkparts. When I bought frame and fork the guy gave me the two yellow elastomers in the second photo.

What grease should I use when regreasing legs and elastomers? I have some silicon-grease I use for disc brake calipers, will that suffice?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• elastomers01.jpg
    elastomers01.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,121
  • elastomers02.jpg
    elastomers02.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 1,121
Back