Onza barends - real or fake?

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Not sure if I've bought a set of fakes, but I have a set of Onza aluminium barends with visible welds near the clamps. The ones I remember from BITD and indeed have only ever seen are the ones with like a bonded clamp setup.

Anyone know if this pic is of a genuine component or fake/copy? :oops:

Thanks Pete :)

Very interesting article that! I guess I can class them as genuine Onza albeit not exclusively by the looks of it, and they're not quite as retro as I really want.

It's got to be steel, welded titanium or bonded alloy when I think of Onza bar ends, bit of a purist like that!

pete_mcc":2e9kcdgh said:
It's got to be steel, welded titanium or bonded alloy when I think of Onza bar ends, bit of a purist like that!

You just articulated my feelings and now I feel cheap haha!

There's a set of NOS Onza Ti ends on the bay, but they're waaaay too pricey.

I'll fit these welded ones as they weren't very expensive, and maybe I'll swap them if I come by another "proper" set ;)

Re: onza or not

What about these - had em for years and think they were onza but cannot remember. Want do you think Onza or nameless? Any value ?

Nige

Attachments

• barendssmall.jpg
    barendssmall.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,825
Could be Onza, clamps are similar. Anything moulded into the plastic plugs? (I can't remember if Onzas have "Onza" or a porcupine moulded in them or even if they were plain, so that may be of no help!)

Back