Suntour Browning Beast electric shift: switch advice.

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
I've had this 80's electric shifting crankset for a few years, and am trying to get it up and running for a new project.

It was licensed by Suntour from the Browning company who invented it in the 70's, and then marketed as BEAST (Browning Electronic AccuShift Transmission) in the 80s.

Trouble is, although they work, the buttons you use to change gear have suffered in storage.

Getting original spares is nigh-on impossible, but I'm thinking it can't be too hard to replace the buttons with a handlebar mounted, er replacement; and you can get motorbike/scooter/mobility vehicle switches. But my electronic skills are dire.

From the pic, and your skill and judgement, can anyone tell me what I need in terms of a replacement switch?

When you press 'H' it sends the solenoid one way; then (I think) the movement of the crank re-centres it; once centred, when you press 'L', it sends the solenoid in the other direction.

I've seen neat motorbike two-button switches, but these require a relay (which does I'm not sure what).

Any advice/links to suitable switches appreciated.

Ta

Re:

I'm sorry I don't really know how to help your problem but I do remember from school that a relay and a solenoid are basically the same thing.perhaps you could ask for help at the technology dept of a college.some student would be probably happy to help you!

doctor-bond":3lpbr0uc said:
I've had this 80's electric shifting crankset for a few years, and am trying to get it up and running for a new project.

It was licensed by Suntour from the Browning company who invented it in the 70's, and then marketed as BEAST (Browning Electronic AccuShift Transmission) in the 80s.

Trouble is, although they work, the buttons you use to change gear have suffered in storage.

Getting original spares is nigh-on impossible, but I'm thinking it can't be too hard to replace the buttons with a handlebar mounted, er replacement; and you can get motorbike/scooter/mobility vehicle switches. But my electronic skills are dire.

From the pic, and your skill and judgement, can anyone tell me what I need in terms of a replacement switch?

When you press 'H' it sends the solenoid one way; then (I think) the movement of the crank re-centres it; once centred, when you press 'L', it sends the solenoid in the other direction.

I've seen neat motorbike two-button switches, but these require a relay (which does I'm not sure what).

Any advice/links to suitable switches appreciated.

Ta

I reckon Maplin is your destination of choice here.

Their online catalogue should have something suitable and if you can make it to a store they should be able to help.

Looking at the second picture, it's a very simple circuit.

The middle contact is the common, bottom contact is H (igh), top is L (ow). The question is the cable connected directly to the circuit board, or is there any other components behind the circuit board?

If the former simple switches will work, you could probably fit some miniature microswitches in a standard shifter housing.

A Di2 switch would probably work. Or a simple rocker switch (image is just to show you what one looks like)

RSPDT101MOMENT.jpg

Heres a modified Di2 thingy

8Px6Pfcl.jpg

Re:

When you say "suffered in storage" Is it's cover completely lost? If its just the switching is a bit iffy and unrelaliable, that could easily be sorted out easy by a little desoldering and cleaning up. If the cover is still around somewhere it might be repairable with some black silicone goo.

Replacement - its two momentary switches with a common pin - as LGF says you could use a the 3-pins of a rocker (or peraps a single momentary on-off-on switch, e.g. maplin FH03D) to do the same thing but making it waterproof and mudproof might be a challenge.

Re:

Thanks for the advice chaps: I especially like the idea of using a Di2 switch: a bit like the Grandson helping the Grandfather.

Truth is, I don't think I'm going to get round to doing this justice, so will be in the for sale section shortly.

Back