EGS Synchroshift Holy Trinity

danson67

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Way Hay :D At last!

After 18 months of trawling French auction sites TrocVelo and Leboncoin, I have amassed the three components of the 1998 EGS SynchroShift Pro mini groupset.

French CNC weirdness at its best:

The massive two-cable gripshift controls both front and rear derailleurs in sequence with a single twist to give a straight series of 12 usable gears from 3 x 7.
The UpCage DR makes for a shorter chain and less chainslap.
And the brake levers are just plain weird..

Far too much thinking and not enough riding in the EGS household ;)

Anybody got one of those White Industries setups with the sliding rods around?

All the best,

Attachments

• P2173608.JPG
    P2173608.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 4,380
Re: EGS Syncroshioft Holy Trinity

I don't even want to know how much you had to shell out to obtain that kit! Pretty nice kit though, I always wanted a set of those but the asking prices scared me away (plus I doubt it will shift that much better compared to XTR in order to justify the price). Oh and the White industries LMDS derailleur system! There was one NOS knocking about on e-bay for something ridiculous like 700$ for the NOS system (enticing but can't afford it). You should obtain both kits and do a compare write up to XTR!
What bike is it going on? Maybe an all-french build? Hurrycat Vorace on front to match the french weirdness?

Re:

Cost about €400 all-in from 3 different sellers. I have a spare NOS shifter if anyone's interested...I wouldn't want to get that one dirty.

In the absence of a weird French frame to go with (any suggestions?), I was thinking Look Fournales fork on a GT STS, Spinergy RevRox...for that full CNC thing. :)

28263.jpg

Or maybe the Fournales or Hurrycat fork on EPX Terrashark, but it would have to run mechanical discs to keep the brake levers:

9598.jpg

wow! is the front mech a dedicated one too, or can you use any front mech? and how does the whole setup work?

The only cool french MTB maker that comes to mind right now is Sunn. Their frames were not very flashy though (love their Ti softtail but that's a Morati frame).
Oh I just remembered, there was a cool Look prototype carbon-alu frame that they used to showcase the Fournales fork. You need that! Unfortunately it was only a prototype so I might as well ask you to buy the Alex Pong frame... Anyway here's a crappy quality pic of the said frame. Maybe a more modern Look frame?(more attainable).
As far as aesthetics go, the GT STS is a sure winner for the carbon and CNC combo, can't go wrong with that! If you do the Spinergy wheels, get either the Rev-X Roks with the 6 spokes and alloy rim or the SPOX (the regular 4 spoke ones are kinda 'meh).
In any case I'll follow the build thread.

Attachments

• image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 4,344

Hmm. Just found this. Fournales fork with integrated stem and an EGS shifter:
transmi1.jpg

All the best,

"Hmm. Just found this. Fournales fork with integrated stem and an EGS shifter:"
Ho-Ho how very french! Sweet cobra sticker. Were those factory?

That's some impressive hunting. I like more obscure components, especially the slightly crazy stuff. Looking forward to seeing them put to use in a build.

Back