XC Pro bottom bracket - what bits am I missing?

MatBH5

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Right... I couldn't resist this as a bargain BIN on eBay. NOS or very close to it.
Most of a grease guard bottom bracket in 68mm, 125ish length. I guess for non-MD.
Missing bolts and caps - which I guess have to be specific, and then any seals or the bellows-type thing. Bolts and caps can be sourced.
I may look out for some spares, perhaps from a bb with worn bearing surfaces?
Any tips to complete this..!?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,275
Re:

Bolts are the most obvious thing missing and the most essential. They are hollow to allow grease to be injected which then purges the bearings - not an easy find!

Re:

None of them are actually needed for it run.

The casing is just debris protection form mud dirt water splash coming in from the main tubes.

The bolts are just for injecting grease easily as are the crank caps.

Nothing to stop you drilling a hole in a bolt if you can.
Someone will be able to tell you if they have a qrease lock in them, I don't remember them having one.

The inner bellows though may also have acted to help push the greas into the bearings as another thought... Someone can check.

Re:

Thanks both. I'll look out for the bolts, and potentially run without the casing then. Some pictures I can find show a thick rubber/plastic rim around the inside of the cups, which I think might be to retain the grease, but it certainly doesn't look to fully seal around the axle.

Re:

How ironic, I currently have one of these in excellent condition laid out on my work bench, 125mm axle, XC Pro groupset non-MD, I'll stick a pic up tomorrow night, it will be going up for sale.

Re:

Here we go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,127
Re:

Thanks, so it looks like I need the bolts and am missing the rubber seal bit which must stop some of the grease escaping the bearings. Though advice above suggests this might not be so vital.

The rubber bits and grease bolts are what really makes this different to a standard bb. If you've not got the rubber seals when you inject the grease it will just (eventually) make its way out. I may have a spare set of the rubbers, possibly the bolts as well.

Re:

That would be fantastic if you do, Ian. Also, I need to pay for and grab those 987's. I've not forgotten!
Happy new year and see you sometime soon.
Mat

You are in luck, I've got a spare bb with a dodgy axle and no bearings but the rubber seals are all there as are the bolts. You'll just need the bolt washers which are pretty standard and it's possible I have something suitable in a tin if you don't have anything. I bought the bb for spares for a tenner so if it's of use let me know.

Back