Anyone know how to withdraw Hyperlite bar end plugs....

rjsdavis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
.... that have been pushed into the bar a bit?

Recently received a used Hyperlite bar, that is fine overall, with the vaguely annoying exception of the bar end plugs having been pushed inwards - into the bar.

Anyone got any cute tips or tricks for easing them out again?

Very many thanks

(one's in about 1.5cm, and the other about 7cm!)

I am not 100% sure of the plugs you are talking about, but could you hook the end of a spoke in to them to ease them out :?: ;)

Thanks - am on about the Answer bar end plugs that pop into the ends of the bar, to help prevent crush damage from bar ends.

I've had a go at pushing one of them in, to see if I could get something fairly hefty and push one of them all the way through, to then push the other one at the other end out too, but I can't get either of the little monkeys to move! They're pretty tightly in.... and a snug fit within the diameter of the bar itself. I can't imagine how they've ended up so far in to be honest....

Attachments

• IMG_00001115-1.jpg
    IMG_00001115-1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 985
You are unlikely to get them out without wrecking them TBH. Probably need to drill a hole in them and try to hoik them out using the hole.

IIRC they were quite solid/hard, so might still be a struggle.
Hope they haven't damaged the bar when they were forced in!

Well you only need to get one out - the other could then be pushed.

What material is the bar and the plug ?

WD :D

It is indeed pretty strange, as I can't understand how/why they've managed to get that far in! It couldn't possibly be crash-push or wall-leaning-push - someone must have forcibly pushed them at some point!

They don't look at all damaged, and of course if anything the bar diameter does get a touch wider as they move towards the centre, but although I was wondering if one of them could be pushed all the way through and push the other one out as it was sort of "rammed" through, there is a 3 degree bend in the bar that might prevent it from going all the way through....

May have to give up on it, and simply try to acquire another set to push into the very ends of the bars where they should be located?

WD Pro":v6747fmg said:
Well you only need to get one out - the other could then be pushed.

What material is the bar and the plug ?

Thanks WD - bar is Hyperlite so Easton EA70 Ally. Bar plugs seem to be a hard'ish plastic, but I've never actually seen one "out of the bar" so unsure if they are hollow like an old Onza bar plug - or solid to help prevent crushing of the bar end itself when bar-ends are fitted....

Well the only thing I could suggest / would try is :

Sand any burrs off the ends of the bar.
Get some wd40 or similar down it.
Put the bar in the sink (plug in) and get loads of boiling water ready.
Pour boiling water over it, let it sit in boiling water.

Maybe the internal pressure may build enough to start moving the plug.
Maybe the bar will expand more than the plug loosening it.
Maybe if the plug is plastic it could soften it a bit which my help.

If noting moves and it's a plastic plug, drill a small / neat hole in the middle and try hooking it out. If that doesn't work, stick a self tapper in it and pull it out.

If it's ally, do as above but drill and tap.

Once it's out, make the hole as neat as possible. If it's ally I would be tempted to leave a grub screw in the hole flush with the head.

Second plug would be easy, knock it out with a piece of wood dowl down the bar from the open end.

I can't think of anything else sorry :-(

Good luck :D

WD Pro":j0yrq7s4 said:
If it's ally, do as above but drill and tap.

Once it's out, make the hole as neat as possible. If it's ally I would be tempted to leave a grub screw in the hole flush with the head.

Thanks WD - I might be mis-interpreting what you are suggesting, but this seems to suggest drilling somehow in the ally bar itself?

Where are you suggesting leaving the grub screw exactly?

The plugs are plastic with some reinforcements inside, I should have a new pair somewhere if you need to drill them ;).

Latest posts

Back