Halson PDS Forks

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just picked these up, did pay quite a bit, but have always loved them (the black ones were the best) loved their simplicity, and the ebay seller nicely lowered the value on the USPS to get passed having ot pay import duty,

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 4,409
No not quite, the black ones had the dial for changing the springs on top, and the crown jutted forward for better for rake (i think)

Hey just found this - http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1993_Ma ... er_Red.htm

I had a set of these on my now long gone Kona Lava Dome 1994, i thought they looked the dogs bolx, esp with the red club roost go fast risers, gold dcd, and the snowflake front wheel - those where the days

Oh hang on, www.retrobike.co.uk - these are still the days
:D

Hi, new here but have been trying to get my hands on another PDS.

mattbrown: Can I ask how much you paid? I watch ebay for a PDS fairly regularly - what did he list it under? I need a pointer to help get one myself! :)
Take care of the boots to keep them lubed, they are the only weak link I ever found with either the Inversion or the PDS (both are Inverted, of course) as they used the same boots - PDS's clear ones were much better.
They were built in Wilsonville, OR for several years (well imported there at least).

I have owned 2 of them and 3 of the black "Inversions". I try every year to buy back my old Marble Peak with my second PDS on it and I think I may get it next year. :?

I knew Steve Wilson (the "son" in Hal-son) years ago and bought several forks from him when the PDS first came out and RockShox stole their designs. Halson Designs won a major lawsuit against Rockshox but it was for future use of their designs. That is the year RS switched to the "Judy Jack" and the lawsuits had to start over. I lost track of him about 7 years ago - bummer. They had some killer designs in the works that rivaled forks that came out for many years after that but they quit production after RS broke them financially and stole their ideas - as I understand it.

I have a large selection of the polymer if someone is looking, I know how tough it can be to find Halso stuff!
PDS uses open cell poly and it is much larger than the Inversion poly.
I also have a spare Inversion and that poly.
If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a PDS, please let me know.

If I can answer questions on the forks, let me know, I was in their factory more than once and rode with Steve's brother and went to the LBS they started themselves called "Bicycle Factory Outlet" for a couple of years until it closed. (3 outlets I think)

The Inversion has the crown forward about an inch of the steerer with the dropouts centered on the lowers, the PDS has the straight crown centered on the steerer with the drop-out tabs forward of the lowers about an inch
(on centers). The PDS used air ports to dampen the force of the travel and was nearly impossible to bottom in normal hits as the harder the hit, the more resistance to compression it had. A slow hit was soft and cushy but in a big hit it got pretty stiff as it neared the bottom. Both forks are unbelieveably responsive and torsionally stiff.
Inversion was $289 retail and the PDS was $499 retail in the mid / late 90's.
They take about 10 minutes to strip, clean, lube, and reassemble and as long as you do this BEFORE they get nasty or dry out, both forks last nearly forever.

Hi Justjustin

I paid just over 110 dollars for it, a bit steep but really wanted a pair, still after the black pair as i used ot own a pair. They came with springs as well as some elastomers.

The guy in America didnt list them for shipping abroad, but changed it when i asked, and recieved them bout 2 weeks later

Thanks for the reply

If you change your mind on them, let me know!
I never rode a spring modified set but I heard they lose their dampening they got from the poly being a slower recoiling material than metal springs. Do they make spring noise?

Very cool indeed! I am jealous!

I havent actually fitted them yet, might put them onto my 92 GT Karakoram, we'll see, the springs seem softer, than the elastomers, i remember the black ones had all different elastomers in them, i only have 2 now in each leg in these.

The pink was the softest (for the PDS - open cell poly) then white and
then yellow. There is also Light Blue and Red but I forget which is harder and I am too lazy to run down to the barn to check right now. :O)
The PDS usually came with 1 white and 1 yellow in it for ~140 pounds.
Note: the PDS poly worked for the black fork as well, but you still had to
keep a piece or two of the old stuff if memory serves.
We also sliced shorter pieces for preload adjustment.

Let me know if you want to sell it, Paypal is only a few seconds away...

:)

justjustin":2g5m3mkw said:
The pink was the softest (for the PDS - open cell poly) then white and
then yellow. There is also Light Blue and Red but I forget which is harder and I am too lazy to run down to the barn to check right now. :O)
The PDS usually came with 1 white and 1 yellow in it for ~140 pounds.
Note: the PDS poly worked for the black fork as well, but you still had to
keep a piece or two of the old stuff if memory serves.
We also sliced shorter pieces for preload adjustment.

Let me know if you want to sell it, Paypal is only a few seconds away...

:)

140lb, my exact weight, and also no, i aint gonna sell them, they are too cool to sell, may look nice of my MInty RTS, that will never get built up

Back