2*Serie Movimento Centrale and tool

yedi

Dirt Disciple
I went to lbs to buy bearings for Campy BB axle that I found. Guy before me in the queue was looking for a chain whip. Fellow in the shop shoved him a NOS old Dura-Ace chain whip in unopened package. Guy was not happy, he wanted modern stuff. He got new style Pro chain whip. (I thought myself good for you...) After guy left I said for salesman whip for ME man :D

Then I asked ball retainers with balls for my axle. Fellow found them. I thought that was so easy, maybe I should ask cups also. He took one box from the shelf and pulled cups from there. I realised it was complete BB. I said I take whole thing, do you have more of these? He had one more box there. It was Pista BB, he asked is this ok? I said YES IT'S OK!!! :D

pbpic1890261.jpg

I found some Campy catalogs and looks that BB's are from late 70's.

Dura-Ace chain whip has been around for long time, starting from somewhere early 80's until mid 90´s I believe...

Is that hook in chain whip for track bike cog lock ring? Radius of the arc is too small for BB lock ring? Dura-Ace 10 (Text in the handle of the tool) was Shimano's track series at early 80's, so the hook could be for cog lock ring...

yedi":hhtnvy15 said:
It was Pista BB, he asked is this ok? I said YES IT'S OK!!! :D
Nice work.

Is that hook in chain whip for track bike cog lock ring? Radius of the arc is too small for BB lock ring? Dura-Ace 10 (Text in the handle of the tool) was Shimano's track series at early 80's, so the hook could be for cog lock ring...

Yes, the hook is for a track lock ring.

BUT

Dura Ace 10 is Shimano's obsolete 10mm-pitch track group. The chain links are 10mm, rather than the standard 1/2". Very little about this group was compatible with other equipment: the hub thread was unique, all transmission parts were unique. I suspect the lockring spanner will only work with DA10 lockrings. This is an interesting curiosity, and may fetch a reasonable price on eBay, but it isn't actually any good to you as a tool.

You might ask at the shop to see if they have any other DA10 equipment - collectors will pay good money for it.

one-eyed_jim":2p6wr8y2 said:
BUT

Dura Ace 10 is Shimano's obsolete 10mm-pitch track group. The chain links are 10mm, rather than the standard 1/2". Very little about this group was compatible with other equipment: the hub thread was unique, all transmission parts were unique. I suspect the lockring spanner will only work with DA10 lockrings. This is an interesting curiosity, and may fetch a reasonable price on eBay, but it isn't actually any good to you as a tool.

I found same info about DA10 series chain and drivetrain. Sheldon Brown's web site has 1982 Shimano catalog where DA10 series is shown.

It's funny that chain in that whip is standard 1/2", so it works for current applications also. I have seen same text in that tool handle in many old catalogs. So maybe Shimano made truck loads of these tool handles, but DA10 series was withdrawn quite soon. They had lots of those handles so they just sold it with "normal" chain :shock:.

yedi":1qaszplc said:
It's funny that chain in that whip is standard 1/2", so it works for current applications also. I have seen same text in that tool handle in many old catalogs. So maybe Shimano made truck loads of these tool handles, but DA10 series was withdrawn quite soon. They had lots of those handles so they just sold it with "normal" chain :shock:.
Yes, I guess that's what happened. In fact after I posted, I realized that the chain looks like standard 1/2" pitch.

Maybe somewhere they run out of those "Dura Ace 10" handles and started to make handle with only "Dura-Ace" text. (BTW: tool type is TL-SR20)

506_1.jpg

Sometimes loose end of chain has spring that connects it to the handle.

Just for comparison here is chain whip that other dude bought (from Shimano's lower cost Pro series). I thought that older crap works better for me :LOL:.

620100348.jpg

New Shimano (track) chain whip is TL-SR22:

Shimano%20TL-SR22%20Chainwhip.jpg

You have to be more carefull when using this. Tool can slip from cog more easily.

Back