I love the postman, he brings me joy!

pete_mcc

Feature Bike
BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Many moons ago I bought a lovely frame built by Croydons finest builder in 1989. Unfortunately it wasn't all to my taste but the potential was there. Having always been a fan of Hetchins bikes from the 30's and 40's I decided that I would beat all those builders at the NAHBS and build my own Neo-retro British roadster bike. With this boards Gil_m's help, decals of a suitable age were designed and with ebay sorting out a stem and stem decals, the whole shooting match was sent off to Bob Jacksons for a touch of Northern magic-here's the results so far......

yrz9gv.jpg

yrz9gt.jpg

yrz9gw.jpg

yrz9g0.jpg

yrz9gr.jpg

You have to have a bit of Chrome on a real retro roadster:

yrz9gq.jpg

And now for Gil's handywork, all lacquered and baked. Based on the Hetchins 'Fairground' typeface.

yrz9gu.jpg

yrz9g6.jpg

Now off to build this beauty up:

yrz9gz.jpg

It's going to be all Mavic parts, with Pauls neo-retro Mafac canti brakes, Avid Ultimate levers, Bullseye cranks (although toying with Cooks..), Nitto Northroad bars, cork grips and Brooks saddle and bits. Unfortunately still waiting for the steel RC30 legs that are having the same chrome and BRG treatment to arrive, but not long now, counting the days, this White Spider will be reborn!

Thats beautiful Pete - great attention to detail and refreshing to somebody doing something a little different. :cool:

Cooks will be ace on there, Bullseyes wouldn't look right IMO ;)

MadCowKev":2llgztq2 said:

but then what on earth would I do with the Bullseyes....... :D

pete_mcc":2l5uw1f0 said:
MadCowKev":2l5uw1f0 said:

but then what on earth would I do with the Bullseyes....... :D

Put them on ebay? I hear they are popular in America. Wouldn't use them personally, way too retro for me :D

In seriousness though some polished Cooks would look ace. Brown leather Brookes saddle too I hope?

that is a rather stunning frame - I know it aint reliable stuff but that would look great with campagnolo all over it :cool:

sunchaser":115uoix0 said:
Pete, are those Billy Bragg lyrics under your user name? 'Short answer' maybe?

You're obviously a man of class, an island of culture in a sea of heathens. I've been a life long fan since I was taken to a Red Wedge concert at a very early age!

Back