Machining a seatpost to fit

kellyjk

Retro Guru
Has anyone reduced the outside diameter of a donor seatpost for a project that had an unusual size? If so please give me some pointers for a project like this Thanks John

Seatpost

I`ve taken a post from 27.2 to 26.8 before. Only a cheapy post with plenty of wall thickness mind you. Lightweight posts are a different territory as they`ll probably break if you take off more than a whisker. If you have access to a lathe its an easy task, about 15-20mins work although a machine shop would probably charge you the price of a decent post to do it.

Is it a type of post you want to stay with or is the frame a weird size?

machined post

Yes it is specific. I want a syncros post and the size is a 26.4. This I"m beginning to believe will be a hard post to find

I waited for ages for a syncros in 27.0 then saw 3 in the space of a few weeks. I don`t know if syncros had custom drawn tubing for each diameter or every few diameters. Maybe there`s enough wall thickness in a 26.8 to machine away which is a more common size. I`d be willing to compare the wall thickness from my syncros 27.0 if anyone can quote the wall thickness of a 27.2 or 26.8 ???

Back