Scott SE Query

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
I have a number of variations of Scott SEs and thought I had heard in the past that the big barreled ones were for rear use only. I have the SunTour variants too, with the more obvious canti style fronts, but recently I picked up two pairs of Scott SE big barreled type in a bright green finish. One pair was labeled 'rear' and the other pair 'front' but both pairs looked identical. Anyways they're on the bike now and of course, the front pair are a tad grabby and vicious (for cantis)! Anyone any thoughts or knowledge on SEs being used on the front end??

Incidentally, I also have a pair of the original Pedersens which have a smaller barrel and the packaging demonstrates they are designed as a front brake - so the underlying mechanical theory cannot have been declared fit for rear use from the outset (pre-licensing).

Mr K

Attachments

• Scott SE Fronts.jpg
    Scott SE Fronts.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 756
I had some of the original black Scott SE ones in about 1990 with the larger barrels. I had set on the front and the rear. I took the fronts off as they were too grabby for my liking.
The rears worked pretty well though, once you got used to how they modulated (or didn't :) )

Personally I wouldn't - but seeing how nice they look on your Nishiki I'd say what the hell and live with them !

Back