renamed: Cool shit that shows up at FTW's

Mickey

Dirt Disciple
According to Frank this is the first prototype of the ATAC stem, circa '88.
It's in a filing cabinet labeled "do not take pictures of this stuff and put it on Retrobike". By most accounts the ATAC was the first commercially available oversized aluminum stem.
What's the timeline on the Syncros stuff? Bueller?

Notice the one piece quill and shaft? Pretty snazy, but not all that light or strong, a smart way to make a stem like that if you don't have the resources to press-fit dissimilar materials on a Friday night.

7074768215_200c811b06_b.jpg

7074767907_7ac85534b0_b.jpg

6928689748_813f596198_b.jpg

The finished product was certainly a lot smoother, for sure, but it's nice to play with the first one when I can't deal with answering many more emails.

A box full of NOS production stems just came in for the "Pro Cut" which is something that Chris Herting started to do to team stems to save weight by drilling a hole in the face, scalloping the edges and slicing off the top of the stem at an angle to get it all dialed and light(as seen on the coolest bike ever).

291YetiAlloy.jpg

I'll snap some "how-to" shots of the slicing and chopping on the stems that just came in.

I'm knee deep in cool old stuff all the time, I'll try to do a better job of sharing and documenting the cool crap that haunts the filing cabinets of FTWindustries here in beautiful Southern, VT.

There's even a batch of new Bullseye crankarms being made right now as I type!

6970287030_172e055d11_c.jpg

Cool stuff!

Here's my early alloy FTW stem on my yeti, exactly the same quality details:
a84e350e.jpg

5606fcfc.jpg

Mickey":ogsirl5s said:
There's even a batch of new Bullseye crankarms being made right now as I type!

If you happen to find that you have a spare 172mm non-drive arm spare amongst all that loveliness then please let me know, I desperately need one to complete a set of much loved, but now under-used, cranks!

Someone, somewhere is having the Bullseye cranks made- they're all 176mm long. No idea how to score them either...

I decided that this might be a good place to dump pictures of Yeti's that come through the shop for repairs or to get replicated.
I'm guessing that some of this stuff might belong to members here at Retrobike, so perhaps I shouldn't share...
This showed up yesterday;
7203272678_c6cc9f711c_c.jpg

It's the smallest A.R.C. frame I've ever seen, and I saw pretty much every A.R.C. on the circuit in the '90s.

It doesn't have a serial number and frames were never made that small.

Pretty trick stuff.
Like a lot of Yeti's the frame cracked at the seat collar. It came in re-welded so I'm not sure what's happening to it.

Mysteries abound here.

Back