protecting polished alu

st

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm about to polish up a some parts for the bike I'm building up and wondered if anyone has had an good results clear coating / laquering freshly polished parts?

The main thing I'm interested in is brakes lever clamps as I'll be stripping and polishing some M900 levers and don't really want to be buffing them up every week

Thanks.

I've laquered a few things on my car and ome have worked great and some have worming in them within a few months.
There are several waxes for bare alloy wheels but I'm not sure how often you need to re wax them.
There is clear powder coat or clear annodising but they'll cost £'s.

It's caused by oxidising, basically the aluminium version of rust.
Any gaps or foriegn matter under the laquer will allow the surface to react, polished alloy needs to be super clean and degreased before coating.
The only way to get rid is to strip the coating and re polish.

Protecting al

:cool: I have a polishing room setup in my shop and we wipe all fresh polished parts with acetone then apply clear coat of your choice.
The clear powder coating works very well and is almost indestructable.
hope this helps.
B.

Protection

Autosol, leaves a protective coat, but I tend to then either give it a coat of high quality Car finish such as Mer or Maguires, who also do a really good metal polish that leaves a protective finish
Wouldn't bother with coatings, a few stone chips and the worms start! :cry:

Re: Protection

Wold Ranger":10n3p1ye said:
Autosol, leaves a protective coat, but I tend to then either give it a coat of high quality Car finish such as Mer or Maguires, who also do a really good metal polish that leaves a protective finish
Wouldn't bother with coatings, a few stone chips and the worms start! :cry:

How often would you need to polish to stop worming?

Back