Manitou Comp Travel Increase...?

fliier

Dirt Disciple
I just pulled apart a 1995 Manitou Comp fork. Elastomers and extension bumpers are shot.... The compression bumpers are in one piece but need to be replaced as well...

Anyhow, as I was cleaning and looking over the internals I couldn't help but think that an increase in travel of 35mm or so was not only possible, but fairly easy to accomplish. This would put total travel in the 80-90mm range. I suspect this is true of all of the Elastomer based forks of this vintage. Has anyone tried this?

I'm away from home at the moment, but when I get back I'll post some pictures with my thoughts on how this could be done. It would require a change to springs instead of elastomers which means no rebound damping. That would have to be overcome. Still the fork is so nicely made that I feel compelled to give it a try.

I understand why the early forks used elastomers, compression and rebound damping all in one unit... Still they didn't stay around long once the designers figured out a good way to do rebound damping...

What do you guys think...?

BINGO!

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for...

No point re-inventing the wheel unless there's no other way... :mrgreen:

Has anyone actually done this, and with what kind of results?

Dare me huh....

That's it then, you've dared me to do it and there's no turning back... :roll:

I'll let you know how it goes but I'm sure it can be done quite easily. Already had a plan in mind, now you've pointed me to full on directions...

What was that last link you sent? I couldn't get it to work, said I was not authorized...

Oh, I did check out the fleet. WOW! Absolutely amazing collection of cool rides... :D Just one, that's all I'm asking for... :LOL:

Back