What are those cantis brakes?

kiwideturin

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hoping i'm at the right place :oops:
What are these brakes :?:

curve_449.jpg

the silver ones look like the oem kona stuff, but pretty sure the purple ones are the aftermarket ones. different pad mount hard ware.

Those are proper curves not OEM. OEM were nasty cast things made of cheese. They were a fairly common design with Curve, Piranna, Joes and Rhino all doing the same (most of those companies had common heritage so it's not surprising!)

Here's the nasty Kona ones:

curve_set_212.jpg

Every set on every bike we sold had to be replaced. In the end we took them off before the bikes went out on the shop floor.

happy to be proved wrong :)

pad holders looked different between the silver and purple so assumed it was that way round.

Hey! I searched high and low for quite a while for a set of these brakes. They are incredibly powerful and have lots of adjustment -- maybe too much for some people.
I always thought they looked quite smart and seem pretty well made/nigh on indestructible. Very light too!

Made by Curve Cycle Components (hence C3), who also made cranksets (I have one but haven't tried it yet - 176mm) and most recently were selling titanium frames (one MTB and one cyclocross) via the web for a not absurd price, but don't seem to be doing much atm.

Cool, huh.

From BikePro:

"Piranha Racing found itself having to change names because the Piranha name has been used by 2 or 3 other bike parts companies, including one that has a dorsal type fin on the top of helmet that was displayed in an aquarium at the Las Vegas trade show. They have changed their name to "Curve" to just bail out of the conflict."

Back