Tricked Out Mag 20 :)

peguinpower

Old School Hero
Sometimes, things just fall into place. I had spare legs for my Mag 20 fork. Then, thru time and constant hunting for VRC bikes, I started to accumulate parts.

Lo and behold my frankenMAG 20. New Bontrager crown with uncut virgin 1 inch steerer, NOS air caps and a used but in excellent condition Monster CNC brake bridge/brake booster.

I'm going to install new Enduro seals in it too :)

DSCN0061.jpg

Looking good! Are you sure that brace isn't one from the Mag21 based specialized FSX? Looks very similar to me.................

Yup, that's a Specialized brake brace... same's on my forks. These were on the non-FSX forks but the FS forks, FSX forks had a smoother silver M2 brace (got that one on my Stumpjumper).

Nonetheless, looking very nice! Maybe you should do a respray in matte gold on the lowers? Or maybe polish them, would make a nice black silver fork.

Now that I think about it, I still have two of those crowns and one of those braces AND a polished MAG-20 fork I was gonna respray. Maybe see what that looks like in black/silver.

Don't wanna be a copy cat BTW, just seems really nice to go in black/silver and put it on my Zaskar from 1992. Period correct but different ;-)

looking very good! How is the handling of the fork? Is the brace stiffer that the stock mag brace? And isn't there a difference in rake with the Bonty crown?
I think I almost bought this brace too. Was it listed with dimensions only, no fork compatibility?

Rio":243lkqz6 said:
looking very good! How is the handling of the fork? Is the brace stiffer that the stock mag brace? And isn't there a difference in rake with the Bonty crown?
I think I almost bought this brace too. Was it listed with dimensions only, no fork compatibility?

The project has been scrapped :( Ive seen pictures of this mod on the internet and thought it would work. At full travel, the tire hits the crown :(

The legs are my spares, so I will keep those. I just bought a Bontrager Switchblade fork with a 1 1/8 steerer crown, and will switch it with this crown to convert it to a 1 inch steerer.

The brace I don't know what to do with. If you want it, I'll sell it at cost.

I now have a 1 inch steerer Bonty SwitchB fork I don't know what to do with. VRC is a sickness :)

peguinpower":2m53si5z said:
Rio":2m53si5z said:

The project has been scrapped :( Ive seen pictures of this mod on the internet and thought it would work. At full travel, the tire hits the crown :(

The legs are my spares, so I will keep those. I just bought a Bontrager Switchblade fork with a 1 1/8 steerer crown, and will switch it with this crown to convert it to a 1 inch steerer.

The brace I don't know what to do with. If you want it, I'll sell it at cost.

I now have a 1 inch steerer Bonty SwitchB fork I don't know what to do with. VRC is a sickness :)

thanks for the offer, but I just bought an FS brace from a fellow forum member...
Can't you mount the crown a bit higher? It looks a bit low on the picture.
If you happen to have a 1" threaded crown for a Mag, I'm looking for one!
I thought your idea would defenitly work. I even thought the Bonty crowns were sold as an 'upgrade' for Mag forks back in the day.

On the proper MAG crown the inner legs only protrude about 5mm above the top of the crown but no idea with these, even if they are actually for a MAG fork at all

Rio":2vh34nqv said:
thanks for the offer, but I just bought an FS brace from a fellow forum member...
Can't you mount the crown a bit higher? It looks a bit low on the picture.
If you happen to have a 1" threaded crown for a Mag, I'm looking for one!
I thought your idea would defenitly work. I even thought the Bonty crowns were sold as an 'upgrade' for Mag forks back in the day.

I'll let you know. I may just switch the Wicked Fat Chance to full rigid :)

development_cycle":2synyj8b said:
On the proper MAG crown the inner legs only protrude about 5mm above the top of the crown but no idea with these, even if they are actually for a MAG fork at all
3mm max, but that's not the problem. On a mag crown the centre raises much higher to allow for the travel.

Even on the RS1 it was slightly raise, but it also didn't have as much travel.

Back