Threaded forks ?

scooter

Retro Guru
Hi , im trying to find some rigid forks for a bike build and i need 1" 1/8th steerer size,un threaded type.

Ive seen these on e-bay but they are threaded, does any one know if they would be ok to use? I dont see that it should make any difference if i use these as un threaded set up, i have the headset and stem ready to fit.

here,s the forks -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BANKRUPT-26-R ... 27ba5e1e82

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I know titch and others on this site have said this is okay to do, but I would not recommend it. The threads cut into the steerer create a stress riser, the bottom edge of the stem creates a fulcrum that will definitely line up with one of those threads, and the stem and bars create a long lever to flex the steerer with. It's a classic case of simple machines and you're just asking to break the steerer off if you ride off road with it like this. It might be fine for casual riding around the neighborhood, but I wouldn't do it.

Here's a much safer option: http://tinyurl.com/3g5whph or just call around to the bike shops in your area, most shops have at least a few old forks lying around that they would be glad to get rid of.

Ok thanks for your reply's.

I'll ring around my lbs's and see what they have, and thanks for the link also, seems a good deal.

Put n advert up in the wanted section

You'll need to know your
headset size
steerer tube length (longer will do as long as the threading goes down far enough)
Axle to crown length (i.e. how long the bit below the frame is.
Colour ;)

If you don't know then pop your bike details up and people should be able to help you work it out.

I have a set of lightly used 1 1/8th cro mo non-suspension corrected forks I need to get rid of. I don't suppose you'd want to ship from Canada.

Back