Bontrager BCR2 Query

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Just picked up some menthol-like Bontrager Weinnman BCR 2s on black XT 730/732 hubs - need to know from what year these were available please... wouldn't want to put them on the wrong bike now... :roll: ;)

mrkawasaki":7t3cuycv said:
Just picked up some menthol-like Bontrager Weinnman BCR 2s on black XT 730/732 hubs - need to know from what year these were available please... wouldn't want to put them on the wrong bike now... :roll: ;)

I did some similar research, see this link:

http://mombat.org/Bontrager.htm

Tells you a pretty good timeline for the rims - early 90's depending on the exact ones but I think they're all pretty much the same bar the sticker except for the very early ones which have a raised section on the inner radius.

Nice rims :D

If you follow the link and scroll down to the '1993 accessory catalog' (sic) section you will see this image:

93Bonty3.JPG

despite not listing the BCR2, it is shown in the picture.

So, 1993.

Now, if someone could find me some of these:

93Bonty4.JPG

all will be right with the world

mrkawasaki":2i8d80xw said:
Thanks - a little later than I thought then.

That's just the earliest catalogue on mombat with them in (apart from the bontranger bike review for 92 which ha BCRs on it).

I think they were available from around 90/91. :D

The BCR rims were used by David Baker as far back as '92, he had them on his Raleigh. The BCR 2 was usually fitted to the rear and the BCR 1 to the front. The BCR 2 is a heavier more robust rim whilst the BCR 1 is a lightweight.

Back