DGI Manitou Ti/Carbon Kit

Coleman

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Been after this for ages after getting out bid horribly on ebay for some ti stanchions a while back :cry:

NOS arrived today with no customs charges to pay :D these will finish the Xizang nicely:

rimg2344.jpg

The stanchions are 110g each compared to 190g each for the steel ones - reasonable weight saving.

The steerer is 1" so won't be used on this build.

Out of interest can you compare the length of yours verse the stock manitou ones? Mine were about 1.5 inches shorter, which made tyre clearance an interesting issue...

Hi - yes I compared this - they are exactly the same length as the ones off of my Manitou 1's.

I know that the legs in Manitou 2's etc are shorter - got caught out with that before - I'm not sure if it has to do with the preload adjusters on the later forks?

Cool, thanks for that, I have a feeling mine may have had an 'interaction' with a pipe cutter having been crimped in earlier life...

Yes - very possible - the instructions suggest that it is advisable to re-use the aluminium insert in the top of the old stanchions - I think this strengthens them against crush damage.

These are going to be a pain in the ar$e to remove am having to make up a expanding collet to be able to knock them out - we'll see how that turns out!

My work has strict issue on web browsing so I tend to do a load on my iphone, takes a month of sundays to scroll through some peoples sigs.
I will even avoid certain threads if I see certain people have posted as I cant be arsed to read long lists of bikes people once owned time and time again, or the fact that someone is a ride coordinator for east bumbleshire. If I want to go for a ride in east bumbleshire then I will look at the east bumbleshire section of the readers rides.

Managed to get the ally inserts out today but it was a bit of a fight.

Made up a expanding collet to enable the insert to be punched out of the fork leg - but they wouldn't budge!

Ended up having to file through the stanchion along the length of the insert and repeated the collet/punch routine and out they came with 20 years of grot and corrosion!

Bit if a shame to waste the old stanchions but one needed re-chroming and both had some nasty looking folds.

Before/Tool/After:

rimg2355.jpg

Tool:

rimg2356.jpg

If anyone needs to borrow the tool then give me a shout :D

Spotted that kit on t'bay the other week.......real nice ad rare as :shock:

Thought someone on here would end up with it.... :cool: :cool:

Back