Magura cyclocross brakes

novekili

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Not so retro but they suit my 1990 Merlin quite nicely...

Attachments

• P1040289 (Medium).JPG
    P1040289 (Medium).JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 7,100
no, fully Hydraulic... normal Maguras; the oil chamber is in the lever, but you can't see it because it's under the hoods

Those are pretty retro.
Believe Mike Kluge had a magura brake on his bike somewhere in the nineties. Only the rear brake if I remember correctly.
Very nice, and those levers are hard to find.

Kluge had front and read Magura Race line brakes, in neon yellow of course... won 2 wc races in a row...
I had the same brakes, but I have never won any race... something wrong with my racelines probably... I sure with these I'll have better luck :LOL:

I never knew Magura made CX brakes. Are/were they allowed by the UCI? I thougt the regulations about brakes where pretty restricting.

very nice bike btw!

Rio":collqnuv said:
I never knew Magura made CX brakes. Are/were they allowed by the UCI? I thougt the regulations about brakes where pretty restricting.

very nice bike btw!

I didn't think hydraulic road/CX levers existed full stop ! These are amazing. I'm guessing they're as rare as hen's teeth ?!

The UCI rules used to forbid disk brakes in UCI Cyclocross events, though this rule was reversed to allow them in July 2010 (and they are now also allowed in the 3 Peaks, much to my delight as my CX bike has disks !). I don't think the UCI actually forbid hydraulic brakes though - the problem with disks was for specific reasons, and anyhow, I think there were only cable operated disk brakes in use on CX bikes (on the mainstream racing circuit anyhow).

What you'll now see, possibly in 2011 but definately in 2012 are hydraulic Dura-Ace or SRAM Red levers and superlight brake calipers and disks - for CX or high-end touring bikes. I'm actually betting that Hope Tec beat both the big S's to the post ! Or just as good, Campag Super-Record/CX with hydraulic disks !

novekili":3bca2idj said:
Not so retro but they suit my 1990 Merlin quite nicely...

Damn, the more I see your bike, the more awsome it's getting !

Has there already been a Merlin appreciation topic somewhere ? - there should be one, that's for sure.

Back