Interloc Racing IRD crown 1"

jonnymcenroe

Beating Jimmy Connors
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Lockdown 3.0 project has landed...

Building an Expedition Ti rigid into this crown wiith my local framebuilder

It's a 1" crown, I really would prefer the mkii 1.1/8th version... this is what I have!

Spoke to IRD and have a lead for information however any info the forum can offer would be a great help to us

Might have to make a prototype from steel and infact it'd be nice to have the option

So here we go... :LOL:

Need-to-know wall thickness and OD to order tubing, butted or plain?!

Is the 1.1/8th version both 1.1/8" steerer and legs?

Any idea how we're gonna get the dropouts in?! Press fit or weld or both?!

Any ideas how we can fabricate the bolt on bosses?!

Exciting times :D

➡️

Attachments

• 20210121_213248(1).jpg
    20210121_213248(1).jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 682
That’s a lovely piece you have and total props for even attempting it, it’d be like building a car from a steering wheel!
There is always these if you could stretch to a 1” and you’re feeling particularly fruity and proper flush: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titanium-IRD ... 1438.l2649
Can’t help with the dimensions of an 1-1/8” fork, but here’s my 1” just because... :cool:

Attachments

• 946A8DD1-719F-4535-88A2-6BA219E54546.jpeg
    946A8DD1-719F-4535-88A2-6BA219E54546.jpeg
    612.6 KB · Views: 663
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Interesting...I'm looking to do something similar with a Pace RC36 crown, and have made several with Rock Shox Mag21 crowns.

Happy to help with any framebuilding help, parts, tubing or finishing via connections that I might have.
I can do 3D modelling of the machined parts, too.

I've recently made a couple of step-down steerers for IRD forks, where a 1" steerer is sleeved up to 1-1/8" to for the larger crown. 2 Different customers within a fortnight :shock:

I (or your framebuilder) could certainly make the opposite for you 1-1/8" steerer into the 1" crown fairly easily.
Unfortunately, neither customer supplied legs, so I can't measure them for you. :?

One client is on RB (I'll message him) and the other guy is not on RB, but I have his contact details...

All the best,

Attachments

• IMAG0960.jpg
    IMAG0960.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 661
  • Screenshot 2021-01-22 212406.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-22 212406.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 662
I can't recall if I had the Ti IRD fork, or the McMahon one many moons ago, anyway, the legs were custom anodised in a design by Leni Fried and its pretty high up the list of things I should never have sold.

Re: Re:

jonnymcenroe":1780e76o said:
How do these ride? I'm under 10st/140lbs and i'm not overly keen on flexy front ends...

➡️
I’ve read the IRD Ti legs are pretty much the flexiest’est out there ever so prolly not for you.

Yes, they even describe it as a 'suspension fork'. Not one for the heavier hardcore rider I think :shock:

"The steer tube, aluminum crown, and fork blades all flex in unison...
fore and aft flexibility softening the ride...
a true suspension fork...
lighter riders will appreciate the softer action of the titanium blades."

All the best,

Re:

Ah, looking likely I'll need to make some alternate material legs
Steel, alloy, Ti and carbon? Let's see what's possible with my budget

I'm looking for the benefits of this particular crown...
weight saving essentially and some chatter reduction in the (frankly apocalyptic) city streets would be the best outcome

➡️

Bumping this old thread while doing some research!

Did you ever progress any further with building yours from the crown-up?

Interesting project, for sure.

Also:

Interesting...I'm looking to do something similar with a Pace RC36 crown, and have made several with Rock Shox Mag21 crowns.

Happy to help with any framebuilding help, parts, tubing or finishing via connections that I might have.
I can do 3D modelling of the machined parts, too.

I've recently made a couple of step-down steerers for IRD forks, where a 1" steerer is sleeved up to 1-1/8" to for the larger crown. 2 Different customers within a fortnight :shock:

I (or your framebuilder) could certainly make the opposite for you 1-1/8" steerer into the 1" crown fairly easily.
Unfortunately, neither customer supplied legs, so I can't measure them for you. :?

One client is on RB (I'll message him) and the other guy is not on RB, but I have his contact details...

All the best,

Dan, I see a PM in your future... ;)

As I've just taken stock of a lovely Expedition fork.

Came with two steerer options, too.

But, who knows, I might one day need longer versions, or even threadless!

Nice thing about composite-style forks, I suppose. Options.

Back