Heated the tyre up to 700c and the rim burst into flames!

bj

Retro Guru
This years project!

Heated the tyre up in a bonfire until it was glowing red hot. We used a tractor to lower it onto the prepared oak wheel, tapped it one, then quenched it.

I volunteer in the local woods that i use to ride. We do a lot of logging - clearing out plantation pine to create halos around deciduous trees. Anyway, in a nearby field was an old oak logging wagon that had rotted away over the years, but the metal work still survived. A group of us are in the process of rebuilding it.

So far we have built the back half, and have just started on the front half.

Attachments

• hot wheel 15.jpg
    hot wheel 15.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3,780
  • finished wheel 25.jpg
    finished wheel 25.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 3,778
  • hub 25.jpg
    hub 25.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 3,779
  • back half 25.jpg
    back half 25.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 3,780
This was the back half as found.

This was the front half as found.

Attachments

• scrap back 25 (2).jpg
    scrap back 25 (2).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 3,681
  • scrap front half 25.jpg
    scrap front half 25.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 3,681
Re:

Stripping the back half for iron work parts. Saving any of the wood that can be reused.

Attachments

• stripping back 25.jpg
    stripping back 25.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 3,666
Very cool project! I have to ask, Am i the only one that read the title and thought oh no, someone has put a 700c tubular in the oven as that's what it said on the Sidewall?

Re:

Preparing the beam axle to take the stub axles. The stub axle bearing face is very worn and pitted on one side. Still to decide how best to mate this to the hub bearing. The stub axle is set into the beam slightly off horizontal to introduce a camber to the wheel.

The hub bearing was sheared into two parts, which have now been welded together. This hub bearing will be press fit into the hub. There is a lug to one side which keep the hub and bearing as one rotating unit.

Front hub with a hub bearing pressed in, spokes and felloes (rim), sitting on a stub axle. Ready for tyre to be fitted. Dry fit to allow movement.

A short hold now - awaiting next batch of blanks for the spokes and felloes (rim). Most of the wood has been very generously donated by Whitmores english hardwoods based near Hinkley. Amazing place to go and visit, particularly if you after some english hardwood. Primarily for large scale bespoke commercial use, but they are very accommodating to the small fry. My son and i sourced some wonderful flamed maple offcuts to make a guitar ('Dad can we make a guitar') thread from a few years back. They simply could not have been more helpful.

Attachments

• axle 25.jpg
    axle 25.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 3,613
  • hub bearing 25.jpg
    hub bearing 25.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 3,614
  • front wheel 25.jpg
    front wheel 25.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 3,614
Forecarriage attached to rear and awaiting wheels

Attachments

• IMG-20201112-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20201112-WA0000.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,150
Wheels successfully shod last week, and hopefully fitted soon.

Starting to construct the shafts into which the horses will be attached. On the lookout for four shire horses!

Back