100+ year old postcrds

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
Because I am the family archivist, a few years ago a large collection of postcards, handed down through three generations, made its way into my collection. They sat in a box for a while, then I put them into a photo album, just to protect them. I thought nothing of it, until I showed them to a friend. He flipped out! I took a closer look, and concurred, it is an amazing collection.

I scanned them and made a Flickr account to display them. Most were sent by a distant uncle who worked for a steamship line, and traveled the world. He went to places almost no one had even heard of then, and he dutifully reported his whereabouts through post cards.

A striking aspect is the remarkable flowing handwriting, common then, non-existent now.

One card is dated April 18, 1906, sent from Macau, China on the same day the legendary earthquake hit San Francisco. It passed through the San Francisco Post Office just six weeks after the earthquake. I'll post that one, and you can see the others at the Flickr site.

Attachments

• postcard01d.jpg
    postcard01d.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 5,153
  • postcard01c.jpg
    postcard01c.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 5,153
Wow! It's great collection and of course some real history to them.
Unfortunately, my collection goes as far as some ones of local scenes from the 30's - 50's and family ones from about 50's - 80's.
Ollie :) .

Sell the bikes, buy a camera, get gps coordinates of the places and go there to see whats left.

I reckon a lot of that has been bulldozered down for a highway or mcdonalds. But i know for sure tower bridge, london and eiffel tower, paris are still standing..... ofcourse all the people are dust.

Re:

Funnily enough I have Kelly's in my family on my mothers side, from Newport Co Mayo. One of them iirc was a nurse in WW1 and had a snazzy camera. The pictures she took of Egypt, the soldiers etc are amazing. Agree about the beautiful writing. My daughters not bad at it for only 6 though.

Back