Have we done home brewing yet?

REKIBorter

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Any home brewers out there in RB land?

Did it years ago and looking at taking it up again. Tempted to go down the all grain route but may go with kits just to get going.

Re:

I started my first kit last weekend, probably going to barrel it up tomorrow if all goes to plan...

It's an american pale ale by the way - a pokey 5.6abv too, hope it's nice going to have 40 pints of it soon!

Re:

First brew is now fermenting - Kentish Bitter - smells lovely already. Have a cider pack on the way to keep the mrs happy.

I made several brews of Old Wherry last year and a couple of Stouts and lagers. The children want me to do some Ginger beer so that is next on the list. I am starting to keep some pressure barrels empty as I really want to make Elderflower Champagne this spring.

I've done around 70 all grain brews so far and started with all grain. Keep 3 beers on tap all the time, grow a couple kinds of hops in the backyard, and working on converting my brew rig to electric with a little automation to make my life easier. A great hobby!

Re:

Fermenting going very steadily, not too vigorous but a ryhmic stream of big gulps. Found out my fermenting bin is not very air-tight, had to wrap the seal with cling film to get it to stop leaking gas.

Hops go in Saturday.

Re:

Used to always have some on the go when a student many moons ago, both beer and wine, but not been up to much of late. That said I still have the gear and a few tins of hopped malt in the cupboard waiting for slightly warmer weather :xmas-wink:

Great fun experimenting with different quantities of ingredients.

Beer is food, Lewis :D

Re: Re:

REKIBorter":5or2bagr said:
Fermenting going very steadily, not too vigorous but a ryhmic stream of big gulps. Found out my fermenting bin is not very air-tight, had to wrap the seal with cling film to get it to stop leaking gas.

Hops go in Saturday.

You need to let the gas escape at this stage.

Re: Re:

Bullpup":38nnc8ph said:
REKIBorter":38nnc8ph said:

Hops go in Saturday.

You need to let the gas escape at this stage.

Indeed - open it every day or two when it gets going and give a good stir with a wooden spoon - it will froth up!!

This gets the CO2 out which at this stage is an unwanted by product which hampers fermentation.

Back