Plastic kits

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
In my case, for once <gasp> not railway related!!

Some months ago I spotted a bargain 1/12 scale as-new Tamiya kit for a Mini Cooper (Issigonis, not the modern version) in a charity shop and immediately thought "hang on a minute - I've got a great idea" ;). Moving house etc. has got in the way a bit but I've finally started building it; size-wise it's pretty impressive and will look good on the bookcase once eventually finished - that could be a while as it's complex and with lots of intricate painting involved. Pics to follow as and when it resembles something a bit more like a car.

Anyone else had or is having a stab at something similar?

David

Re:

Am buidling a Porsche 356 at the moment :)

I was given it over 15 years ago :oops:

I find them very Therapeutic to do :)

Re: Re:

widowmaker":3x3niy1s said:
Am buidling a Porsche 356 at the moment :)

I was given it over 15 years ago :oops:

I find them very Therapeutic to do :)

I think the time lag is pretty common - Dad has quite a few smaller scale Airfix kits bought years ago that he hasn't got round to yet.

It "only" took him about 4-5 years to do the Caterham Seven I gave him some Christmases back....

David

Re:

I have a couple of Spitfires to do as well :oops:

After Work when the kids are in bed and my Wife is watching some 'rubbish' on TV i sit at the dining table with a cup of earl grey, listen to the radio and work on them :D

Thats Rock and Roll :D

Re:

Aha! Some fellow modelmakers! :D

I've been "having a stab" at them for years, with varying degrees of success. ;)
I am a member of The Airfix Tribute Forum; you can view some of my work here.

As widowmaker stated, they are quite therapeutic - It certainly beats gawping at the reality TV dross that my partner seems to enjoy so much...

I have a few Hasegawa kits that I bought in the 80's to start ( in the 80's I decided to do the Century fighters and carry on to the later series) and a Glider in the utility room to finish sometime....... there is just not enough time in life to work / play and build models LOL

Shaun

Re: Re:

DonB":1tj7nigb said:
Aha! Some fellow modelmakers! :D

I've been "having a stab" at them for years, with varying degrees of success. ;)
I am a member of The Airfix Tribute Forum; you can view some of my work here.

As widowmaker stated, they are quite therapeutic - It certainly beats gawping at the reality TV dross that my partner seems to enjoy so much...

Thanks for the link, I'll investigate the Airfix forum in more detail some time. Bike rebuilding, training and racing (the cyclo-cross season kicked off on Friday evening :) ) have stalled progress on my Mini Cooper for now but I guess, like a reference book, I can dip in and out of it as free time allows....

David

I've recently taken it up again. Started a diet and it distracts me from eating in the evenings or my days off when I'm bored of playstation after my bike ride. Just built the Airfix 1/48 clipped wing spitfire. Now building a 1/24 Airfix Harrier Gr3 while I wait for a spare part on the Revell 1/32 Red Arrows model. Then I have an Airfix HMS Victory and a 1/35 Italeri M1 Abrams tank.

I used to eat a lot of crap.

Re:

Blimey - There seems to be an awful lot of people with large houses/ lots of space with all these 1:24 and 1:32 scale aircraft! ;) :LOL:

My 1:72 collection takes up (my partner would say "takes over") a sizable portion of the house. At the last count, there are 96 built aircraft, and just over 100 in the stash.

That said, I do have a 1:32 Revell Beaufighter, Ju.87, A6M5 Zero, Me.109 G-6 and and Macchi C205. The last four are made by 21st Century Toys, and I purchased them from Home Bargains a few years ago for £1.99 each.
After seeing what others have done with these cheapies, I wish I had bought a few more, as they build into very nice models and the quality of the decal sheets is superb.

Back