Wooden Boats...

SlackAlice

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
How about a thread for wooden boats? This seems like a good home for one here!

So, to get the boat rolling, so to speak, I would like to offer up a member of my family… She's a Broads River Cruiser, called 'Urchin'.

My mum bought her as an ex-hire yacht in 1955 from the Norfolk Broads Yachting Company. Built by them in 1936, with a smaller rig to enable easier handling, she is a traditional pine on oak carvel Norfolk Broads river cruiser, 2-berth and as such I've known and sailed her since I was an egg!

Over the last 8 years, I have taken much time to slowly re-introduce her structural integrity, with some new planking, new steamed oak ribs, floors and using as much of the original joinery down below, refit the cabin after replacing the timbers/ribs.

My most recent restoration has been to overhaul and resurrect the original Baby Blake loo. It once again works beautifully and very well!

The re-decking shown here I have posted elsewhere, so apologies for any repeat to those of you who may recognise it. The re-deck took me most of the summer of 2011. A local and extremely talented boatbuilder made space for me and Urchin in his boat shed and I managed to finish, launch and get my mum onboard for one last trip just weeks before my mum died after a short battle with cancer. Lots of emotion looking at these pics again and feel truly thankful for the opportunity to have done this. Urchin is still and will continue to be a major part of our lives, she is much loved!

I look forward to seeing any other wooden boats!!

Foredeck1-1.jpg

Foredeck2.jpg

Foredeck3.jpg

Foredeck4.jpg

Foredeck6.jpg

Foredeck5.jpg

prelaunch.jpg

finishedforedeck.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

P1020389.jpg

The last one I 'had' was a International Dragon 29' 6" of wooden sexyness :shock:
This is'nt my one BTW mines didnt get finished :(
Ive still got the RYA plans/drawings for the Dragon.

Hey lumos, thank you, Folkboats are lovely, good manageable size too for cruising, racing and keeping them maintained!

Robmac, I'm not surprised she was/is your first love! Swallow's and Amazon's style there - nearly! They had standing lugsails IIRC. Loving the clinker planking too. When/where was she built?

The rig on Urchin is kinda part way between gaff and gunter I suppose. Whilst the gaff and peak are high, I think a true gunter rig is more like yours in the pic ^^, where the gaff runs almost parallel to the mast. Broads yacht's generally tend towards a gaff rig, with a topsail set to increase sail area higher up and above the tree's :)

And check out the lines on that Dragon!! Gorgeous! Proper boat. It's been 30 odd years since I was living, breathing and sleeping the marine industry, so have forgotten much in terms of individual designs and designers, however, I think I'm right thinking that Fife and Uffa Fox were both designing and building both Dragons and Folkboats, although more than happy to be corrected!

Sadly I don't have any history for the little clinker built boat but the Dragon was said to be No9 ever built. And you know your onions about the Fifie's just Google 'Fifie The Reaper' :shock:

im going to have to add the dragon to my list to look out for, the only problem I have is the shallow harbour im in

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back