Fish Pond Project.

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Fish Pond project started in summer 2011.
13000 litres with bottom drain, built-in surface skimmer dual return pipes to creat a slight clockwise motion in the water, large filter designed for minimum maintenance. 4ft x 2ft viewing window with stainless steel frame.

One disaster after another!
Overspent by about 3x.
We have a high water table which means it fills with water, there are several 5ft deep holes around the pond which need pumping out.
I had a bad illness which meant I couldn't do anything with it for a few months and it filled up with water and partly collapsed! I tried to get a company to finish it for me but they just messed me about and wouldn't give a price! Except one company who quoted £20k!
It was finished once with a liner, but despite having 1" of polystyrene sheeting and sand on the bottom it had lots of tears in it. The liner was removed and the pond rebuilt with concrete blocks and it is currently being painted with pond paint.
The 1500 litre filter was designed and built by me. It uses 200 litres of Kaldness K1 as biological and mechanical filtration, recessed into the ground with 2000(?) litre sump. It will eventually be hidden with a decking cover. It's currently filtering a 1000 litre IBC container which houses my fish. The filter is cleaned every 3-4 months, but 20% water is changed every two months. It's very efficient.

dj7l.jpg

3c0t.jpg

g74g.jpg

nizs.jpg

oooh i love a pond....i had an 11000 litre pond, but had to leave it with my ex when i ran away!!!
all fish dead within a year!! :twisted:

Sweet. I've an ongoing koi pond project at the minute as we moved house last year. Currently it's a muddy hole in the ground, but I hope to have it finished by late spring.

I'm aiming for about 12000l, concrete block fibreglassed with a window, running a single Bottom drain & skimmer to a RotoConcept gravity shower (already got that :cool: ) My koi are currently (not too happy) in their paddling pool!

What fish have you got?

Quite similar to mine then. It's is (or was before I rebuilt the walls) 13000l with aerated bottom drain, window and skimmer.
The muddy hole stage goes on forever! Are you building the walls from blocks?
My fish are in an IBC container and seem ok. Mainly cheap Koi, Rudd, Tench, Bleak and a Sturgeon.
I emptied it yesterday and refilled it, just done pipe work to do on the filter and it's finished!

Muddy hole; 7 months and counting! :LOL: Still loads to remove.

Yep, 6" thick reinforced concrete base, breezeblock walls, and I'll be getting it fibreglassed (over kingspan), as I don't intend to move house for some time! I'm going 2' in ground, 2' out so I can sit on the wall :D

I've a few nice koi; nothing show quality, but a nice 2' long kohaku watches me dig, and keeps asking when his new home will be ready!

Are you using a pump return, or have you looked at airlift? I can't use airlift, which is a shame.

I've filled mine now and the fish are in. The filter isn't running but should be fine as they are only small. I need to put a waste discharge on one of the filters and then fix the many leaks!

Mine has polystyrene sheets in some of the walls but not all. I used a bitumen pond paint which seems pretty good, the rendering is waterproofed as well, as is the 18" thick concrete base (miscalculation when ordering concrete!).

I don't know anything about airlift. I have a bottom drain with a pump return with two return pipes both angled to circulate the water anti-clockwise.

Have you considered putting a light get above the pond? I have a 400w halogen light above the pond and at night visibility is clearer than on a good day! It's as if there's no water and the fish are swimming in air.

Back