My 1989 Yamaha XT 600 2KF

Rich34

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is my 1989 Yamaha XT 600, the 2KF model - kickstart only.

It has an Acerbis 30 litre tank, a period bashplate, a rack from a Ténéré, and Michelin knobblies. The footpegs are wider aftermarket jobs and the bars are Renthals. It's a lovely torquey bike, weighs much less than the later electric versions, and is straightforward to start even if it's been sat for a while. I take it up the occasional track and would love to go to Morocco but that's probably a few years away. The website http://www.tenere.co.uk is a good source of info for anyone interested in these classic Yam thumpers.

I'm about to add an early Super Ténéré to the stable so that I have something more road-orientated. They're cheap and plentiful here in France. And the road surfaces are crap where I live so trailies are the ideal bikes - much better than sportsbikes.

I bet that's a pig to start, i had a KTM LC4 640 in enduro trim, luckily came with an electric boot or i'd still be stuck up the Ridgeway in a foot of mud.

swannymere":x7hapspg said:
I bet that's a pig to start, i had a KTM LC4 640 in enduro trim, luckily came with an electric boot or i'd still be stuck up the Ridgeway in a foot of mud.

Er, no, actually. Once you get used to it it's fine. I wouldn't have a KTM simply because I'd never be sure if the cylinder was still attached to the crankshaft, or something serious like that. But Yams are solid.

Kick, kick, BLAT, popopopopopopopopopbroooooOOAPPPPPP!!!!

Rich34":xuj196ed said:
swannymere":xuj196ed said:
I wouldn't have a KTM simply because I'd never be sure if the cylinder was still attached to the crankshaft, or something serious like that. But Yams are solid.

Kick, kick, BLAT, popopopopopopopopopbroooooOOAPPPPPP!!!!

Meooww :p Miss the old thumper, looking to get back into it in a couple of years and was thinking of going down the DR350 route, but i like the look of the XT, what are they like to tinker with?

Back