Readers Classic Motorcycles - Chat Photos Builds/Resto’s etc

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
I've been admiring some Classic Motor Cycles lately.

My dad used to have a BSA 175cc in 1963, and i presume it was the bantam.

Anyone here into classic rides?

I haven;t got a bike licence so what would I need to do to get one? and would I need a Full one for a 175cc classic?

I used to do Pizza delivery in the early 90ies and have also been riding bikes abroad (largest was a 250cc) so can ride.

ibbz":27jo7jjp said:
I've been admiring some Classic Motor Cycles lately.

My dad used to have a BSA 175cc in 1963, and i presume it was the bantam.

Anyone here into classic rides?

I haven;t got a bike licence so what would I need to do to get one? and would I need a Full one for a 175cc classic?

I used to do Pizza delivery in the early 90ies and have also been riding bikes abroad (largest was a 250cc) so can ride.

Yep, very much into old bikes, British, Spanish, Italian and even some Japanese too. Passed my test on a Bantam, but that was in the 80s! All the licencing nonsense changes constantly so I would suggest having a look on the Govt. website on it. I think these days you can't ride anything without compulsary basic training.

As with all classic bikes, even the prices of Bantams has soared in recent years. Parts are easy to get hold of though, so something needing sorting can still be had for £500-ish. Early 125cc ones are fetching silly money though.

Cheers,
Andrew

Andy, thanks man, I have been looking on the Net for some used stuff.
And it all does boil down to The Bantam, as it's British, my dad used to have one and they seem to be more readily available than anything else. the late 60ies model D14 do you reckon??

However, because of all the bullshit about Tests etc, I may be forced to get myself a Japanese run around for a while on a CBT (it's crap, the Bantam 175 cc is probably lighter than modern 125's, has less power and there's no reason why it cannot be ridden on a CBT - buyers are hardly going to be young 17 year old speed demons! - I'm a 40 year old bloke!)

But I'd want an old skool Jap bike, any late 60ies 70ies suggestion which i could ride with a CBT?

And thanks for the advice, i'll seriously need to research all the steps - would I need to sit a theory test even though I've full car licence since i was 18?

Well, if you want to have a bike which you never have to MoT, then it would have to be a D5, made in 1958 and 59. Pre-60 vehicles are now MoT exempt! Having said that, a D10 sports or D14 would be a better bike to ride, as they have a 4-speed gearbox.

For taking your test, you can't get a better bike than a Honda CG125. You won't lose any money on it either.

Hope that helps!

love old bikes, but alas no license or money to get one, and the bike. would love to restore something cool and simple, i love the sounds and mechanics of them, much like my classic car but even less fuss.

andyz":3doj5sl5 said:
Well, if you want to have a bike which you never have to MoT, then it would have to be a D5, made in 1958 and 59. Pre-60 vehicles are now MoT exempt! Having said that, a D10 sports or D14 would be a better bike to ride, as they have a 4-speed gearbox.

For taking your test, you can't get a better bike than a Honda CG125. You won't lose any money on it either.

Hope that helps!

Thanks man, CG125, cool, which year? And anything by Kawasaki I could look for?
I was also looking at some modern bikes, Chinese made called HMC Classic 125 - a copy of a triumph Bonneville - looks sweet and retro-ish, which I like!

longun":2c43dxa8 said:
love old bikes, but alas no license or money to get one, and the bike. would love to restore something cool and simple, i love the sounds and mechanics of them, much like my classic car but even less fuss.

:)
I agree, like with bicycles I'm sure I'd pick up basic mechanics and knowledge working on old bikes, it's a damn shame the law is so silly regards L plates on Bikes.

Not a biker myself but deal with them daily working for the now only UK sidecar building company :D

daj":77atjmsr said:
Not a biker myself but deal with them daily working for the now only UK sidecar building company :D

More details please!! :D

I haven't seen a Side car for many a year!

Back