Austin 1100, a summer project to keep me occupied

spike3

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Well, I'm in the happy position of having 3 months off starting on the 1st May, so I decided a project was in order. £245 worse off and I won this poor thing on ebay. Due to a vast work load until the 1st I can't collect until the 3rd, but I'm rather excited :oops:

First picture and if anyone is interested in the project I'll keep the thread updated over the next 3 months.

You should use the words "held together" loosely, I pulled parts of the sills away by hand and a shower of rust came out through the hole.

good luck, a 1300GT version (then 13 years old and 70,000 miles) was the first car I ever drove, it was my mum's when I turned 17.

I learnt how to fix it before I even passed my test as exhaust manifold developed a hole and mum quoted more than car worth to fix by unscrupulous mechanic, I took off, got welded up and put back on in a weekend, although there was a bit of tension when mum wandered into garage at 5pm on Sunday reminding me she needed it for work next morning and the twin carbs + bits were still on floor.........but all fixed by evening.

Guess rust will be main challenge, but you knew that already, how's the welding skills :D

If all else fails...

basilfawltycar595.jpg

plans?

restored or something naughty? i quite like um tbh, cool cars with lots of stories to be told regarding all that own one it appears.

pics, pics and er more pics please

My uncle had an orange one. The key snapped in the ignition so my dad rewired the ignition to a toggle switch on the dash, with another pushbutton to start - never worried about locking it.
Then his dog was sick under the front seat, smelt bad when the car got warm. Unbelievably rather than clean it he managed to sell it on to some other poor unsuspecting fool.
Happy days.....

Currently broken my SD reader slot, so pictures will go up in the morning once I've popped to PC World.

But today we've achieved:
Interior out
Boot stripped
Rear furniture removed, lights badges etc

But wow she's rusty, current plan is to go for a standard car. but we'll see.

Back