Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:28 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:51 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
Iwasgoodonce,

I avoid 'chemicals' myself. But the part-timers on the next plot to us nuke everything in sight.

The advice seems to be keep watering as flea beetles aren't keen on damp. But then that brings out the snails & slugs (best watering early in the day in which case). Sticky traps and grease have been mentioned. Sometimes use a soapy spray.

Here's an RHS link:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/pro ... px?pid=510

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:20 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
Imagine digging away, a foot or two so down. No matter where you dig, you encounter an endless seam of industrial orange plastic safety barrier mesh. Often, this will be entangled with long tentacles of couch grass roots. Even horse radish roots and bramble roots. Some of the mesh has gone brittle, so you then have spend ages picking out individual bits of it. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! :x

Attachments:
orange-plastic-fencing.jpg
orange-plastic-fencing.jpg [ 337.45 KiB | Viewed 140 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:46 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I know your pain. We have a plot the previous owner of which had a mania for burying plastic. Somes times it is old plastic bags, other times it torn up strips of old supermarket hoarding ads.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:40 pm 
Retro Guru

Indeed.
Had another day yanking more yards of buried orange plastic tangle from the ground, now my back has gone out – ouch. Pass me the corset and heat pads....

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:46 am 
Old School Grand Master

I'm waiting for the rain to stop so that I can rotavate the last section. I find that the soil reacts much better to the blades if it rains after a dry spell.

The section will be for climbing French beans, runner beans and squashes. I also need to buy some corn plants.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 pm 
Retro Guru

groovyblueshed wrote:
Indeed.
Had another day yanking more yards of buried orange plastic tangle from the ground, now my back has gone out – ouch. Pass me the corset and heat pads....

Corset......How about some quality glasses and ta-da!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:26 pm 
Retro Guru

grumpycommuter wrote:
groovyblueshed wrote:
Indeed.

Corset......How about some quality glasses and ta-da!!!!

:lol:
I have to say, it caused quite a stir amongst the purple rinse set on Sunday when I turned up rocking the Dame Edna look with my trusty three prong cultivator. It had them choking on their tea and Nice biscuits!

Attachments:
trusty-3-prong-tiller.jpg
trusty-3-prong-tiller.jpg [ 121.78 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:01 pm 
Retro Guru

Where on earth did you get that 3 pronged thing? Did it come with a free Ark?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:32 am 
Retro Guru

grumpycommuter wrote:
Where on earth did you get that 3 pronged thing? Did it come with a free Ark?

And also with 2 of everything and bison for the tilling of the land – a bargain Karl...

I got the 3 prong for the princely sum of £4 from a vintage tool stall at the last East Anglia Potato Day event (Stonham Barns, Suffolk). I now carry this with me whenever I have to travel through the more lively parts of Tottenham.

Over the years, I've managed to find a lot of decent tools mainly from smallholder type events here and there. A lot of the vintage tools I've picked up are tried and trusted and really do work, unlike some of the modern gardening gadgets. And they get used. If you or anyone else is interested, I could put up a few photos of the best finds may be...

I've used the 3 prong for turning over new ground at the allotment. It effectively breaks up, turns over and separates out the couch grass roots in each sweep. If I had to use only one tool, this would be it. A tool from the biblical age.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:12 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

I love my old mattock!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 40  Next