Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:47 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:57 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
I knew it was one of those all along :wink: – very nice!
Invest that little bit more and you get something that really works and does the job nicely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:55 pm 
Retro Guru

Here are some piccies, should have been weeding but it was such a lovely evening tonight!

Attachments:
IMGP3300.JPG
IMGP3300.JPG [ 118.34 KiB | Viewed 136 times ]
IMGP3288.JPG
IMGP3288.JPG [ 116.71 KiB | Viewed 136 times ]
IMGP3289.JPG
IMGP3289.JPG [ 87.54 KiB | Viewed 136 times ]
IMGP3284.JPG
IMGP3284.JPG [ 95.04 KiB | Viewed 136 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:32 pm 
Retro Guru

Bloody hell, we have potatoes! Piccies to follow...or just have a look at your local supermarket and you will get the idea :) The tops had started to die back so we checked the dates and they had been in for 15 weeks...so...a quick poke with the fork and there they are, amazing!

Plumbed a 1000 litre IBC in last week and put guttering up on the sheds. One night of heavy rain later and 300 litres had been collected! And one of the sheds had only half the roof plumbed in. I'm actually looking at the rain as i type and thinking great!!

Loads of other stuff is growing well...potato salad tomorrow, and given the amount we planted, for the next 20 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:06 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
Had a guided walk round the kitchen gardens of C19th Myddelton House, Enfield. This was home to plantsman E.A.Bowles. Got some pics which I might post...
Just watching RHS Tatty 'all on the iPlayer.
I feel the evening's thunderous downpour may have saved a few hours of watering duty.
Gonna check the spuds tomorrow. Hoping we'll have enough for the potato salad basis of future lunch boxes. A small few tomatoes are starting to ripen up and the peppers are growing – hopefully, we'll still get some more hot sunny days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:17 pm 
Retro Guru

groovyblueshed wrote:
Had a guided walk round the kitchen gardens of C19th Myddelton House, Enfield. This was home to plantsman E.A.Bowles. Got some pics which I might post...
Just watching RHS Tatty 'all on the iPlayer.
I feel the evening's thunderous downpour may have saved a few hours of watering duty.
Gonna check the spuds tomorrow. Hoping we'll have enough for the potato salad basis of future lunch boxes. A small few tomatoes are starting to ripen up and the peppers are growing – hopefully, we'll still get some more hot sunny days.

Potato frenzy!!

Having dug these up and looked over the remaining ridges i have realised that we have rather a lot of spuds to eat. Lovely earlies though. Very soft and almost creamy texture. We had beetroot, spuds, cabbage from a neighbour and spring onions on Sunday. It was a very satisfying experience...

Looking forward to your photos Howard.

Attachments:
IMGP3314.JPG
IMGP3314.JPG [ 196.53 KiB | Viewed 91 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:39 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Away for a week and how everything has grown. Plants and weeds now of Triffid proportions!

We are currently (currantly?) processing around ten kilos of black currants. This is only around half the crop.

Very maggoty peas though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:04 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

had fresh Ribena last night with thanks to the previous owner of my patch, :) got lots of long grass to clear and soil to dig. im thinking its a bit to late in the year to start anything. any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:29 am 
Old School Grand Master

Clear it now. Perhaps consider nuking it with glyphosphate if there are areas of couch or similar. Otherwise, dig and hand weed.

Then you'll just be in time to plant Autumn varieties of:

Broad beans
Onions
Shallots
Garlic

If you want something to eat this season, consider fast growing turnips or similar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:29 pm 
South East AEC
South East AEC

Iwasgoodonce wrote:
Clear it now. Perhaps consider nuking it with glyphosphate if there are areas of couch or similar. Otherwise, dig and hand weed.

Glyphosphate is my favourite gardening tool !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:07 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

mmm im not to keen on chemicals , ill have to read up on it.
I have a shed that was left behind, I live just round the corner from the allotment and I wont be using it for tools so ive thought about growing mushrooms in it. something else to read up on. anyone have any experience?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 40  Next