Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:22 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 40  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:30 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 pm
Posts: 1257
Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
grumpycommuter wrote:
You need an allotment bike with a big basket! We have a Pashley tricycle that we are tempted to fit a big basket on..BUT...i have 2.5 mile hill to get up before i get to the plot. That in itself is ok but the front drum / caliper brake combo is pants and i would most certainly kill myself on the way home :)

Was it chasing a loo roll?


There's a long wide sinuous avenue that runs downhill through the middle of Finsbury Park. After a long climb to reach the park, the downhill section comes as a blessed relief, and you can really build up some momentum. The retriever wasn't obviously with anyone and just seemed to randomly decide to bolt into the middle of the avenue, stopping in front of me, Rhubarb & Custard stylee. It hadn't seen me, so it was either emergency giant bunny hop or big swerve around it. Youth's not on my side these days, so it was the scary swerve instead. Loo rolls do seem to be involved with these dogs, which are essentially still giant soppy puppies at heart. The worst hazards though on my commute seem to be from the hipsters on their fixies.

The Pashley tricycle does sounds like a good option (on the flat) – my partner might just cope with one as her balancing is a bit skewiff.

I found an intriguing bike on the web - see the photo. This would liven up the catering at the lottie :wink:

Scrounged some grocers baskets plus a metal wire one from our postal room at work – aim to rig one of them to my rack.

It's a long steep downhill to our lottie which is fun, but a killer 30 or 40 mins on the way back up after a day of digging. There's hopper bus that would do it 5 or 10 mins each way but they tend to object to exotic allotment paraphernalia as luggage...

Christmas and or birthday came early today – I took delivery of a heavy duty garden cart from Robert Dyas :xmas-big-grin: :D I'm now thinking bike trailer.... :idea: OK, may be not a good idea :facepalm:


Attachments:
picnic bike.jpg
picnic bike.jpg [ 61.76 KiB | Viewed 184 times ]
garden cart.jpg
garden cart.jpg [ 194.8 KiB | Viewed 184 times ]


Last edited by groovyblueshed on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:35 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:18 pm
Posts: 3798
Location: Staffordshire
Once I have sold my sports car and freed up a bit of garage space, I'm going to give serious thought to a trailer.

I have instructions on how to make a really strong one that I will be able to put my rotavator on to. Our allotment is less than a mile away so I really want a full time alternative to the car.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:43 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 pm
Posts: 1257
Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
Iwasgoodonce wrote:
Once I have sold my sports car and freed up a bit of garage space, I'm going to give serious thought to a trailer.

I have instructions on how to make a really strong one that I will be able to put my rotavator on to. Our allotment is less than a mile away so I really want a full time alternative to the car.


Selling the sports car sounds like a sad day. But the trailer project sounds fun – is it to be pulled by bike?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:32 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:18 pm
Posts: 3798
Location: Staffordshire
Yes, my old Saracen will be attached to the trailer.

Things (mostly weeds) are growing rapidly in this warm weather. I was on a watering mission last night and will be again tonight. Shallots, garlic and onions are coming along nicely. Beans and courgettes have stopped sulking and are starting to grow too. I will try to remember my iPad tonight (camera broke) to take some pictures.

As an added bonus to being out on a lovely night such as last night, we have a stream running down the side of one of our plots. One of my favourite beasties started to make an appearance last night, namely, the Mayfly.

They have no mouth, but even if they did and their favoured food was young vegetables, I would plant extra just for them. I could forgive them anything. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is another hatch this evening.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:38 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:18 pm
Posts: 3798
Location: Staffordshire
Here are a couple of photos of what a week of warm sun can do...


Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 219.93 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 276.19 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:11 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 pm
Posts: 3584
Location: Wherever it is, I'm being just that little bit more Lance
That looks stunning!

I only have a small plot 2.5m x 2.5m as well as a green house the same size. Unfortunately due to my surgery I've not been able to do as much as I wanted to this year as digging and the like is banned for a few more months :( Luckily dug it over and prepped it several months ago so have managed to get in potatoes, beans (broad, tendergreen and borlotti) and beetroot. Got a load of garlic growing in a flowerbed. The greenhouse has chillies (Dorset Naga, Habanero and finger chilli), pak choi and there's a purple sprouting broccoli waiting to be planted out. Strawberries and blueberries dotted round the garden too.

I got a bicycle trailer from freecycle, it was a fully enclosed one for carting your dog about behind your bike, strip it down and make a wooden box for carting stuff about, spot on!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:24 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:18 pm
Posts: 3798
Location: Staffordshire
i believe in fixies wrote:
That looks stunning!

I only have a small plot 2.5m x 2.5m as well as a green house the same size. Unfortunately due to my surgery I've not been able to do as much as I wanted to this year as digging and the like is banned for a few more months :( Luckily dug it over and prepped it several months ago so have managed to get in potatoes, beans (broad, tendergreen and borlotti) and beetroot. Got a load of garlic growing in a flowerbed. The greenhouse has chillies (Dorset Naga, Habanero and finger chilli), pak choi and there's a purple sprouting broccoli waiting to be planted out. Strawberries and blueberries dotted round the garden too.

I got a bicycle trailer from freecycle, it was a fully enclosed one for carting your dog about behind your bike, strip it down and make a wooden box for carting stuff about, spot on!



You'll be able to dig to properly next season. It really is amazing how much you can fit in a small space. Watch out for them chillies! Last time we visited my parents down in Devon, we went to the chilli farm down there in Lodiswell. I bought some chilli sauce made with habenaro and another made with naga.

You really can still feel the heat the next day. I haven't plucked up the courage to dry the actual dried chilli yet!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:32 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 pm
Posts: 1257
Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
i believe in fixies wrote:
That looks stunning!

I only have a small plot 2.5m x 2.5m as well as a green house the same size. Unfortunately due to my surgery I've not been able to do as much as I wanted to this year as digging and the like is banned for a few more months :( Luckily dug it over and prepped it several months ago so have managed to get in potatoes, beans (broad, tendergreen and borlotti) and beetroot. Got a load of garlic growing in a flowerbed. The greenhouse has chillies (Dorset Naga, Habanero and finger chilli), pak choi and there's a purple sprouting broccoli waiting to be planted out. Strawberries and blueberries dotted round the garden too.

I got a bicycle trailer from freecycle, it was a fully enclosed one for carting your dog about behind your bike, strip it down and make a wooden box for carting stuff about, spot on!



I quite agree – that's a fantastic site.

I'm trying catch up with my plot after being out of action for months from smashing my knee in a bizarre bike crash last September. As a result, I'm now in the process of clearing a forest of bramble and a jungle of non-productive greenery. Have got spuds in so far, but have things coming along at home in big tubs and planters. I booked Friday & Monday off so I can have 4 day weekend allotment frenzy. Might get round to posting some pics of it on Monday.

Sounds like you've got some nice produce coming along. Like the cart/trailer idea.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:40 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:20 pm
Posts: 1087
Location: Chained to the mash tun.
Iwasgoodonce wrote:
Yes, my old Saracen will be attached to the trailer.

Things (mostly weeds) are growing rapidly in this warm weather. I was on a watering mission last night and will be again tonight. Shallots, garlic and onions are coming along nicely. Beans and courgettes have stopped sulking and are starting to grow too. I will try to remember my iPad tonight (camera broke) to take some pictures.

As an added bonus to being out on a lovely night such as last night, we have a stream running down the side of one of our plots. One of my favourite beasties started to make an appearance last night, namely, the Mayfly.

They have no mouth, but even if they did and their favoured food was young vegetables, I would plant extra just for them. I could forgive them anything. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is another hatch this evening.



The Mayfly
By Douglas Florian

A mayfly flies
In May or June.
Its life is over
Far too soon.
A day or two
To dance,
To fly—
Hello
Hello
Good-bye
Good-bye.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:42 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:08 pm
Posts: 1257
Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
The tomato and chilli festivals down at West Dean gardens near Goodwood have always been enjoyable. Always come back with bags of goodies.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 40  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group