Polo MK2 - rekindling my youth !!

Re:

I owned a mk1 very briefly, but it sat in my GF's garage at the time as I was too young and dumb to do anything with it.

So I sold it to my brother, then we found a G40 in a scrap yard :cool: and he put it in the Mk1.

However the Mk1 was then stripped and the shell was sold (went off to have a 1.8t put in it apparently). The G40 engine is in my brothers mk3 coupe now (fully seam welded/caged etc)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 4,133
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 4,133
Re:

WOW a G40 MK1 :twisted:

I remember test driving a Polo G40 when they first came to the UK :cool:

Sounds like you and your brother are handy with a spanner, shame your not local :)

Re:

widowmaker":3uav4f19 said:
Sounds like you and your brother are handy with a spanner, shame your not local :)

He is but I'm not - it's safer for the general public if I stick to fixing old bikes!

I had a metallic liver coloured Mk2 1.1GL breadvan back in the late 80s. I remember the dreadfully heavy brakes as VW couldn't be bothered to re-engineer a servo.

hamster":nds6x9tl said:
I had a metallic liver coloured Mk2 1.1GL breadvan back in the late 80s. I remember the dreadfully heavy brakes as VW couldn't be bothered to re-engineer a servo.

After driving modern cars, we have a Subaru Impreza and an Audi TT in the Widowmaker household when I first drove the Polo back from the Garage the brakes were terrible :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

After a few weeks I have gotten used to them, they are a bit like catilever brakes :p

widowmaker":2ppivpnu said:
After driving modern cars, we have a Subaru Impreza and an Audi TT in the Widowmaker household when I first drove the Polo back from the Garage the brakes were terrible :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

After a few weeks I have gotten used to them, they are a bit like catilever brakes :p

They do indeed work well-enough, no fade etc, but it's just the big pedal pressure takes some getting used to.

hamster":fmccphla said:
widowmaker":fmccphla said:

They do indeed work well-enough, no fade etc, but it's just the big pedal pressure takes some getting used to.

I have a set of VWII calipers from a MK1 Golf GTI which I am refurbishing to fit along with vented discs and decent pads which should improve things. It only has a mere 55bhp to cope with and its a light old car :p

Its a hoot to drive though, CD on, arm out the window, bass thumping through a single 1980's 6 x 4 speaker :cool:

Re:

Way back I had 2 MK2 coupes. An 84 and an 86. The 2nd one will always be my fave car. I did a few mods starting with a servo from BRM in Leamington Spa (they were the people who showed VW how to put it in the MK3) vented discs, flowed head and schrick cam, Webber, boge springs and shocks, rear ARB, 'lecki windows, BBS RA wheels and obligatory bee-sting. Had my baby for 7 glorious years and never ever got used to the truly hideous understeer on a wet road. Wierd really cos in the dry it could scare the Willie's out of my 16v golf owner brother. Worth bearing in mind if you plan to modify that the front suspension design is THE limiting factor. No wishbones makes the front set up flimsy. It can cope with track conditions well but on the road any mid-bend lumps and bumps or funny camber and you can get seriously out of shape.
Sold him with 124k miles on the clock and the engine was still a peach with not a spot of manky oil in the sump - just like every other VW I have owned. Damn they were fine cars back then.
The single best feature of that car that I really truly miss is the ventilation. Honestly. I have yet to own another car that can give you cold air on your face and warm on your feet at the same time. Warm air in your eyes when your driving is a big no no for me.

Re:

This is my old one - I spent over 10yrs developing it, with sorted chassis and BCB 1.6 16v engine with cams and big bike carbs, it was nuts.
Destroyed by a taxi driver 2yrs ago, almost killing me and my kid in the process.

MrVGzUK.jpg

Latest posts

Back