The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

I have had a couple of months of not being able to ride due to a little op so I concentrated on researching affordable upgrades to my system. These have included a precision sub platter to reduce wow and flutter. It does. A new nutrile/cork mix mat to reduce static. It does. And a big investment in a Vincent PHO-8 phono stage with linear psu to reduce hum and interference from surrounding equipment. This allegedly also has a
Warmer more tube like output with more bass. It does.

I also have a vintage planar 3 plinth, lid and motor incoming. All the TT upgrades will be transferred to that and the rp1 returned to original spec for sale. I’ll then get a 24v rega motor to make the old girl sing like a bird.

Attachments

• 7C5C4017-3C68-4AA2-9EEE-8403FB30248E.jpeg
    7C5C4017-3C68-4AA2-9EEE-8403FB30248E.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 711
Re:

It's difficult to gage size from the picture; I thought you'd bought a couple of mono power amps.

Re:

Can you knowledgeable chaps rate this set up for me, in terms of, is it any good....? Without getting too technical! I've been given it as a customer has upgraded, and I really liked the look of this for years. Super cool, as they reckon it's all at least 30, if not nearer 40, years old....retro, which is exactly what I was after.

Phillips CD840 CD player
Rotel RA611 amp
Monitor Audio System R252 speakers
Target speaker stands

And a lovely ancient wooden cupboard that's nothing to do with stereos but they had the set up housed in it and wanted shot of that too! :D

Cd players didn't physically exist until 1981 so it's not 40 years old, first production units appeared around1982/3

Amp is 44 years old though! If its big, silver and covered in knobs

It is a nice budget system, add a Bluetooth dongle and you'll be able to stream music/ radio from your phone etc

Back