The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

I would consider replacing those big fat electrolytics as aged ones can fail suddenly and dramatically. It's not too expensive and a good use of a rainy winter's afternoon.

Re:

I think that amp has already been refurbished, here's how it would have looked originally:

03-leak-stereo-20.jpg

https://mniec.wordpress.com/2013/03/24/ ... 0-rebuild/

Agree with Xerxes...those caps have already been replaced. You would be mad to do the other work and not the reservoir caps IMHO.

Re:

It looks as though whoever did the work added some extra caps, the large blue ones. I assume the centre transformer is the mains input transformer, perhaps they're for some additional mains PSU ripple smoothing.

I think it may have had an upgraded psu. From memory here is a mod using diodes to protect the GZ34 rectifier. Part of it was increasing the soothing across the rails. Others rather than replace the 2 main caps (within the alu cans) just bypassed with caps placed underneath. I don't think this is the case here though.

Re:

I did notice that my example has a connection to only one of the three available tags on the base of each of the two large capacitors, don't know if that is significant to what may be within?.

Re: Re:

Matt70":24103mue said:
I did notice that my example has a connection to only one of the three available tags on the base of each of the two large capacitors, don't know if that is significant to what may be within?.

Could well be that these have been bypassed and replaced with the large blue ones. Seems probable given what you say.

Hi all, happy to delete post if deemed inappropriate but I have a Cyrus 1 (last version with die cast body, metal front and metal 'flip'on off switch. Fired it up and sounds sweet as a nut. £50 if anyone wants to collect from Wokingham Berks...

Bored. Made a shelf for my rega out of sistern brackets and an old pine shelf a while ago to get it off the desk.

Been looking at granite plinths at around £100 a pop. Trawling eBay I hatched a plan and bought these leftovers for a tenner this morning.

Picked them up and popped in here on a quiet Sunday morning, the £155 tile cutter on display was put to use after chatting to the girls on the desk and promising a donation to the charity of their choice.

Macmillan's gain etc

Came home and decided three looked best with rubber dampers between. Job done.

Not bothered if it improves isolation and acoustic clarity. It looks way better.

Will put another under the amp etc when the new (to me cd) Cyrus 7 arrives to match the amp.

On levelling realised rega has fixed feet so another bargain buy....

Sorbothane feet thingies arrived today to go between the slabs. Very suspension. Just need to couple the turntable to the dense top slab with the spikes.

Back