The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

Re:

I thought everybody knew each other in Suffolk?

Nice amp for 29 guineas.

We need pics.

Re:

I'm in Ixworth Gerard.

THM, it's so nice and friendly here that it just seems that way! :D .

Hopefully here's a picture.

Attachments

• amp 3.jpg
    amp 3.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 515
Matt I dive past Ixworth every day! I'm Redgrave, office in BSE.
Looks really nice and given it looks as if the speaker terminals and mains cable have been upgraded I suspect it will have had some work and be fine.
Any chance of an internal shot...that will tell everything.

Re:

Cheers, i'll sort one out later. It looks to me like it's had new components inside, but i'm no expert, see what you think. Matt

Re:

A shot of the underside as promised, what do you think?. I'm about to wire it up to some speakers and connect a source to the phono inputs, here's hoping I've still got usable speakers in an hour or so!.

Attachments

• amp underside.jpg
    amp underside.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 498
Re:

Well, I still have my health, a home and working speakers :D and best of all the bloomin' thing only works perfectly!.

Now to start plan 'A': convince wife that a huge lump of 1950's metal with glowing bulbs is just what the lounge needs to bring the room together! :facepalm: .

Matt

Matt
Sorry been in meetings etc. Looks good and as if someone has done some work so I would have said all good to go, but I think you have discovered that.
It takes a good few hours for a valve amp to warm up, particularly if the capacitors haven't had a charge for a while.
Don't leave them unattended though, but just play background music. It is what I use my tuner for.

Re:

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, it's appreciated. In truth I suspect it'll be moving on shortly, a bit too esoteric for our household and once a pre-amp is added into the equation, even more so!. But it is nice to know that it works.

You are fortunate to be in Redgrave, over the last few years we've headed out that way several times to visit the fen, a wonderful place for a relaxing walk and a bit of nature watching.

Matt

Matt
If you have cd system you don't necessarily need a preamp. If the cd has a volume, some do you can just use that. Anyway you should do well out of it.

Yes Redgrave is nice. If you're up this way let me know as you'll pass the house on the way to the fen.

Back