The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

You can connect the amps output directly to either drive unit to see if they are ok.

That sort of damage is usually when the amp goes pop and sends DC voltage down the speaker wire frying the thing.

The drive units are fine. Not what sort of crossover to get, quite a lot of results on eBay and something simple but better. If just a case of wiring the tweeter, bass and binding posts. Possibly use the existing back plate once cleaned up

Re:

worth checking on ebay for 2 way crossover.

You can't just bung in any old 2 way crossover. A crossover is designed, using different value components for different speaker drive units and, to a lesser extent, different enclosure volumes.

Probably I put them up for sale, as haven't the foggiest in what needs doing. As a project for someone. The drive units are fine and cabinets. One crossover is complete and speaker still works. But they are heavy so pick up only

Ok, I'm scratching my head with this one (don't know anything about this stuff)
I will start at the start, bear with me. and apologies if this makes no sense!

I lost sound from the left speaker.
Assumed it was the 40 odd year old Rotel amp at fault.
Purchased a nice Technics from LGF, sounds great btw!
Got above technics amp home and plugged in.
No left speaker sound.
Found the left channel is dead on my early Phillips cd player.
Played the tape, left sound came back after a minute!

Today, listening for a little while with laptop plugged into it.
Left sound goes.
Twiddle all the knobs and sliders, no different.

I pull the rca's out the back and put them back, still nothing.
Pull rca's back out and swap them left to right and back again, and left speaker comes back to life.

20 mins later it happens again, switched the amp switch to use the other pair of speakers, and still no good, switched to both pairs of speakers simultaneously still no good. Done the RCA swap again, and its back.

I literally just touch the right RCA in the left port and it fires back to life, then swap to the correct way until it happens again.

This time, I left the RCA's the wrong way round, so, if the amp has been damaged by another fault, when the left channel cuts out, the right speakers will cut this time.

Guess what, the left speakers cut out again, while plugged into the RH!

The Previous Rotel amp is now doing sterling service in the living room powering the 753's.

I have no ideas left.

legrandefromage":2q8qtynn said:
knackered leads?

Ok, so, put the living room Rotel on at 4.30pm, and guess what, the left speaker has no sound! Was perfect yesterday!.....

So, I get the technics amp from the mancave where I was having the above problems, plugged into the 753's etc. its been pumping all evening faultlessly.

Put the Sherwood amp in the mancave, that system has also been fine ever since, using the Wharfdales and the small missions.

I have no idea what on earth was going on earlier but everything seems fine now. The left channel in the Rotel is deffo dead, and funnily enough the left output in the Phillips CD is also dead. Total Mind F**k!

Back