The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

Anyone want a a pretty decent home cinema system?

The first to pop round with £250 gets a Pioneer VSX-922 (six HDMI inputs!) receiver, B&W 603 S2 floor standers, Mordant Short Vector subwoofer/ centre and surround speakers.

Needs collecting though as there will be around 100kg of stuff!

Re:

Hi, just looking for some advice on some mission freedom speakers - the later ones. I noticed yesterday that the back plate by the binding posts that the plastic has melted a little! Not sure what has caused this to happen. So took back plate off and not sure what I'm looking at with the crossover. Is it worth putting in new crossovers or building one - but not sure what I'm doing

Attachments

• imageedit_7_4968040753.jpg
    imageedit_7_4968040753.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 264
  • imageedit_4_5732395391.jpg
    imageedit_4_5732395391.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 264
  • imageedit_2_9589502155.jpg
    imageedit_2_9589502155.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 264
Any thoughts on how to stop my technics tr-333 tape deck from constantly auto reversing sides when I play a tape in it?

All other functions seem to work & it only does it on deck 1

Re: Re:

simonlovell99":3444665d said:
Hi, just looking for some advice on some mission freedom speakers - the later ones. I noticed yesterday that the back plate by the binding posts that the plastic has melted a little! Not sure what has caused this to happen. So took back plate off and not sure what I'm looking at with the crossover. Is it worth putting in new crossovers or building one - but not sure what I'm doing

Yes, that panel contains the crossover. Very likely if you check the side behind the melted plastic bit you will find a resistor - one of them black cylindrical things. Looks like those are wirewound - low value but high power. The resistor will have got hot enough to melt plastic but being wire it may not have been damaged.

To check for damage, unsolder it and measure resistance - the value will be printed on it - if the heat has burnt off the lettering, you can always see inside the other (presumably undamaged) speaker. They are pretty cheap and you may want to replace it with same value but higher wattage.

Other components may have been damaged like the inductor (bobbin of wire) and the capacitors.

If none of the above makes sense, then best leave it to someone a bit more knowledgeable although I can talk you through it.

BTW - does the speaker still work - compare to the non damaged one.

Re: Re:

Andy B":1bk9qsfg said:
Any thoughts on how to stop my technics tr-333 tape deck from constantly auto reversing sides when I play a tape in it?

All other functions seem to work & it only does it on deck 1

belt perished or roller gone. not too difficult to repair

simonlovell99":1bk9qsfg said:

The voice coils would have popped before anything would have melted?

They are both damaged on the back pkate, one still works. Not sure about the other. Just have take it all out and such a mess. It's been a while since done electronic stuff. But got the components out. 2 alcap capacitors @ 15 MFD/50vnp. 1x 4u7K100. 3 unknown capacitors. The inductor looks fine and there a smaller circular component with green tape.

Back