Retro Skateboard - 87 Santa Cruz Jeff Grosso

Damn, I knew asking here was going to get me some sh1t ... :LOL:

No, not yet ... :LOL:

I made the stupid choice of signing up for a triathlon. At the time, I didn't even own a road bike so things got busy all of a sudden with sourcing and rebuilding a bike, tweaking it to how I wanted and then the volume of training - this kind of sidelines a lot of other hobbies and pass times etc. I did gauge interest in me posting the build on here but reponce was limited (understandable).

The rip grip is for the ends of the bull horns and the extensions :D

I have ordered a sheet of what I hope will be a modern (much cheaper !) equivalent - just waiting for it to arrive :D

I would have gone with rip grip, if I could find it in the right colours (black / neon green) - I have had to resort to plain black ... :-( but that kind of goes with carbon and stealth builds anyway :D

WD :D

For reference, the stuff is nice, but it is softer than the origional stuff ...

It's survived well on the back of my phone for a week or so, actually much better than I expected :D It's really grippy and just feels 'nice' :cool:

Visually it's very similar to the retro stuff :

I was impressed enough to give it a go on the bill horns :

If it lasts on those it will cope with living on the extensions easily. I am hopeful, it's not like it's a bike that's left leaning on walls etc :D

WD :D

Dug out my old battered original grosso Alice....

Attachments

• IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,817
  • IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,817
Re:

WOW - way cool!

I still have my 1977/'78 33" Santa Cruz deck, with Independant trucks and OJ wheels ... in almost minty condition, kicking around. Had no idea that it might be worth somewhere between four hun and a grand!!

However, I haven't ridden it in decades, and it appears that the rubber elastomer spacers in the truck pivots are hardened and cracking ... anyone know if replacements are still available for those?

right guys, forgive me, but this isn't about retro boards...

Beginning of april, I bought my first deck for 20 years. I bought a cheap complete setup to see if I could get back into it - I have, and I'm loving it.

Soooo... I want a better board. And while I'm at it, I tempted to go wider. Mine is 7.8". Any advice on widths? I'm tempted to go up to about 8.3" mainly as my toes seem to hang off my deck (only a size 8 shoe though).

Will I even notice the difference?

Honestly, I'm a bit lost :(

My_Teenage_Self":1pzr9mbr said:
Soooo... I want a better board. And while I'm at it, I tempted to go wider. Mine is 7.8". Any advice on widths? I'm tempted to go up to about 8.3" mainly as my toes seem to hang off my deck (only a size 8 shoe though).

Will I even notice the difference?
I'm using a 8.125" (shoe size 9) and find that to be fine both on street and in the bowl.
I might change up to 8.25" for my next deck, for more stability, or like you say; the toes hang off the deck.

I also have a 9.5" which I bought to use in the bowl. It's really heavy, but a lot more stable.
But I got tired of drag both decks with me to the park so I just use the smaller deck now.

Re:

Here's some of my old decks - will post more later :)

Powel Peralta - Mike Vallely

H-Street - Danny Way

Attachments

• Vallely a.jpg
    Vallely a.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2,699
  • Vallely b.jpg
    Vallely b.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 2,699
  • Danny Way a.jpg
    Danny Way a.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,699