photo (4).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,945
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,945
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,945
1992...It's got the Groove Tube top tube which was introduced in '92 and the True Temper GTX tubing. It's also the last year GT had the model name on the down tube. Starting in '93 they went to the "all GT terra" on the down tube.

thats too nice to risk in the city

buy an old apollo clunker for the commute

and welcome to "no cash but need bits .com "

I'd tidy that up, but dont 'upgrade' to modern parts, keep it all original. If you need to replace anything you'll easily find period correct parts on here.

Do what mikee says, buy a hack for the city and keep the GT sweet.

As for the RTS, repairing (ie welding) may be possible, but we'd need some pics first to see the damage.

The city piece has been fixed somewhat by my new employers who have a fully secure bike park in the building. so i can justify riding it every day.

part of me is proud that i've had it for 18 years and it still purrs.

part of me would love to see how it rides with some new kit on it.

Any thoughts on what sort of shocks i could put on the front? it's a threaded headset - probably 1" but i don't know. Headset is shot, hence the thought of converting and upgrading the forks

the frame could also do with a re-spray - lots of loving scratches and wear/tear. difficult thing to do?

Pretty sure forks steerer tube is 1 1/8 inch. If you looking for correct period suspension, Rock Shox mag 20/21 will be the best probably . Otherwise nothing with long travel, around 60 mm max as these frames weren't designed for long travel suspension.

I'll be happy to take your forks if you decide to sell them.

get in there raddik :LOL:

yeah mag 21's or even some older pace forks
you should get a servicable pair for 50/60 quid

i prefer to leave the origonal paint in some of my builds ,thats what i'd with that ,were it mine

think your stuck with the U brake on the back but a V on the front would be a life saving upgrade perhaps ,it the rest of it works leave it alone and
enjoy the old/nice bike feel

trickylad":1paeedd7 said:
part of me is proud that i've had it for 18 years and it still purrs.

part of me would love to see how it rides with some new kit on it.

Any thoughts on what sort of shocks i could put on the front? it's a threaded headset - probably 1" but i don't know. Headset is shot, hence the thought of converting and upgrading the forks

the frame could also do with a re-spray - lots of loving scratches and wear/tear. difficult thing to do?

Please dont put 'new' kit on it. Replace with period parts, but you can find new old stuff on here ;)

Rock Shox suit GT's perfectly, some Mag21's or cheaper Quadra 21's/Indy S or SL. Bear in mind that if you were to consider putting modern suspension forks on a older frame, with most being longer travel you will mess the geometry up (ie higher front end) and effect the handling.

Headset is 1" 1/8th. On here you can easily find threaded or ahead forks, plus if your headset is shot you may consider switching to ahead. My 1994 Karakoram is 1" 1/8th ahead, and is wearing Rock Shox Quadra 21's.

excuse my idiocy - what's an ahead headset?

don't want to mess up the geometry

can you post a pic of your karakoram? would love to see it

can't wait to share the pics of the RTS from the shed now... :LOL:

i am with trickylad
i think we need an idiots guide to building up bikes !
i got my zaskar frame now and a manitou stem
thats it !
i have no idea what a aheadset thing is bottom bracket sizes
stem size threaded quill stems baffles me !
square tappers cranks !
or what sort of shocks to use!
i look at the frame everyday now and think hummmmm
what have i done!
doing my head in!

Back